Thursday 4 March 2010

Psalm 23 Reflection

There are many aspects of Christian ministry that I consider an enormous privilege.  One of these is conducting funerals, which provides an opportunity to minister something of God's love to those who have been bereaved.  Today I conducted a service of thanksgiving for Pat Mercer.  Pat was a long term member of my church at Yelvertoft but was already in care and showing signs of dementia when I started my ministry in the village.  Consequently I was unable to form a bond with her, which was a shame.

Preparing for her funeral service gave me the opportunity of getting to know members of her family and that was great.  A grandson now lives in the village and a granddaughter lives not far away.  I hope and pray we might see them again before long.  It was a great village service, well attended, good singing, and fond memories shared.

Key thought for today: from Psalm 23, it is "passing through" the valley of the shadow of death.  It is not a terminal destination, and for those who have experienced God's gracious companionship in life, "passing through" brings no fear, with the assurance of that which is better ahead.

Busy day tomorrow in London.  I put my main engagements for this month on the calendar at ruralmissions.org.uk today which should help those who pray with and for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment