Monday 22 March 2010

Ouch!

It has been an eventful four days since I last posted anything on this blog.  The reason for this is that I had continuing problems with my gall bladder and ended up in hospital in Edinburgh.  On Tuesday when I left Market Harborough levels of pain and discomfort had fallen and it looked hopeful.  Doreen was being cared for and we both agreed I should go to Edinburgh.  Tuesday night was uncomfortable and almost entirely sleepless, but I was able to teach on Wednesday as planned.

On Wednesday night I slept exhausted but woke in pain at 4.00 and decided there was no point hanging around for my evening flight and hoping I would feel better.  So I washed and shaved and got a taxi to the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh.  E&A were super and a conviction grew that it would make more sense to take out my gall bladder here rather than medicate me for a trip home and a further wait for the operation.  This was the first time I had severe pain since early December and I was in no mood for more of the same.

The operation was on Friday morning and took three surgeons 90 minutes (about twice the usual time).  But they managed it with keyhole surgery.  Three hours after I went into theatre I was being stirred by an insistent lady with an annoying whine of a voice.  My first instinct was to plunge into deeper unconsciousness but the whine penetrated everywhere so I decided the only way to turn it off was to do what she kept insisting! 

Now it is Sunday morning and I am cleared to come home.  A Congregational colleague and friend has been looking after me, his wife doing laundry for me and they will be getting me to the station.  At the other end I will be met by Colin from Yelvertoft CC who kindly booked the train for me.  SA friends have kept in touch, concerned that I suddenly disappeared to hospital and my old friend Willie Munroe and his friend Ina came and visited which was great of them.

This has truly proved a Romans 8:28 experience in so many ways both for me in Edinburgh and for Doreen back at Market Harborough struggling with a bad cold and a broken bone in her foot.  Friends have been so kind.  We are also aware that word got around and many have been praying.  God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment