Tuesday 8 June 2010

Thanks for the thank you

The other day I was walking along a footpath in Market Harborough and saw a man leaning over a waste basket.  There were two black bin bags at his feet and it became clear that he had just collected the rubbish and was putting a new bag in its place.  He was taking care to get this just right..

As I passed I thanked him for the work that he did.  He was very surprised and thanked me for thanking him.  He then told me that no one had ever thanked him - not even his boss.  When you consider how little a simple thank you costs it's a shame we do not give them away more often.  After all I would not want to live in a town overflowing with rubbish so I really am grateful to him - and his boss.

So here's the challenge: say thank you in a special way to at least one person each day for the next week.  Try to express thanks to people who might not expect it.  We could start a revolution!

Today I was back at Gartree Prison with the choir.  We have a lot of work to do to be ready for the concert.  I got thanked by my colleagues and the men and I appreciated their thanks.  And by the way.....

Thank you for reading this and for your prayers.  We appreciate those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment