Saturday 9 August 2014

Reparations

Like many others I have been shocked by the extent of the destruction suffered in Gaza as Israel has responded to rockets fired from Gaza by Hamas.  It has seemed to me not unlike the blanket bombing of Coventry and Dresden in the Second World War.  Such terrible devastation is presented to us as inevitable and unavoidable. Israel claims that since Hamas places and fires its weapons from within domestic and other non-military structures these must be destroyed.  They seek to mitigate the action by sending a first non-exploding missile as a 'knock on the roof'.

But in the few minutes between the first and second missiles there is little time to evacuate the building and hardly any time to hold onto precious possessions.  On one hand such terrible destruction seems disproportionate to the damage caused by Hamas' rockets.  On the other hand Israel states that it has to stop the rockets and close the tunnels used by Hamas against a nation they see as illegally occupying their land.   Meanwhile almost 2,000 people have been killed, most apparently civilians.  One news report stated that over 10,000 houses, government buildings, universities, mosques, and schools were damaged in a month-long assault. In addition to this many factories have also been bombed and there has been significant damage to infrastructure.

The cost of rebuilding and restoring services in Gaza will clearly run into many millions of pounds if not billions of pounds.  It is on this that I wish to focus rather than comment on the claims of justification that the combatants assert.  Hearing on the news that Israel regrets the damage to human life and property made me wonder whether that sorrow was sufficient for Israel to foot the bill.  This got me searching the internet and Bible on the subject of reparations.

There are numerous references to reparation claims after WW2 on the internet but few references in Scripture.  However, the Bible is not silent on the subject and it does set out some principles.  The one particular passage that came to my mind occurs in Luke 19 in the story of the salvation of Zachaeus.  Here is a man who was a chief tax collector on behalf of the occupying force - the Romans.  While people usually shunned him he found that Jesus chose to associate himself.  We do not know what they talked about but the change in Zachaeus is expressed in these words:

‘Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, 
and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back 
four times the amount.’ (Luke 19: 8 NIVUK)

The Law of Moses sets out in Leviticus chapter six that restitution is normally 120% of that which was taken, though Exodus 22 suggests a more generous price. Whether one uses the Exodus reference or the Leviticus reference it is clear that Zachaeus accepted the responsibility he had to make restitution if he had taken more than he should for himself in taxation.

The principle of restitution or reparations ought to be applied to all aspects of sin; not just that which relates to property.  Is telling God that we are sorry for wrong things we have done or said sufficient if it is not then demonstrated by reparations?  Consider, for example, a situation where monies taken illegally from a charity.  Is it enough just to accept the consequences of Court action or should the offender apologise to the charity and its supporters and seek at the least to restore what he had taken?

Or consider a Christian leader who has serially sexually abused those for whom he held a position of trust.  Again the Courts might have imposed a penalty, and he might claim that he has repented.  But should he not also be prepared to, at the least, apologise to the victims and others affected by his actions?

Both those examples are drawn from among many real situations that I have come across through the years.  I am glad that I can also recall situations where monies stolen were repaid with interest, and where apologies have been provided properly. I believe that true repentance is always seen when it is followed by appropriate actions.  I know too that such expressions of repentance bring peace and blessing.

When I was just a child I did something wrong that was quite serious and motivated by malice.  Feeling scared of the consequences I suggested that the culprit was another young person who lived not far away.  Later, when I had become a Christian I told a minister about it and was told that if I had told God I was sorry that was sufficient.  But I was left with guilt which I carried for over thirty years.  Eventually, I arranged to meet with all the parties that were still alive and apologise to them.  While I was also prepared to suffer the consequences of my misconduct I was informed that there would not be a fine (as I had fully expected).  Although it was not my goal, I found an incredible depth of peace afterwards.

Zachaeus' intention to make reparations far beyond what the law required was clearly sincere, unlike a womanising man I knew who would bring his wife some flowers and chocolates after every time he had been unfaithful!  True repentance can be seen in a changed life that does not seek to justify the sins we have committed but seeks to make reparations, regardless of the cost.  For a government to state that they regret collateral damage and the death of innocent people costs nothing.  I wait to see who is going to pick up the bill.

Please take a moment with me to reflect on any hurt we may have caused but so far failed to put right.  Perhaps there is something we should do.

From the diary:
  • Holiday at Home in Market Harborough throughout last week brought blessing to many older people in the community.  It was a blessing to work as a part of a team with people from various local churches. Pictures will appear later this week on www.ruralmissionsolutions.org.uk
  • Last Monday's joint churches commemorative service in  our village of Yelvertoft was a very special occasion.  Our local Parish Church seemed full.  As we symbolically put out the candles they were replaced by a new light as I read from John chapter 1 about the true light coming into the world.
  • Thank you for your prayers for the funeral service last Monday.  It was well attended and I pray that gospel words will touch and change hearts as necessary. As in all aspects of rural ministry I try to always evangelise pastorally and pastor evangelistically.  As Paul points out in 1Corinthians 13 ministry not characterised by love is pretty much a waste of time.
  • The week ahead will be spent mainly on administration as there is quite a lot of catching up to be done. This Sunday 10th August I will be ministering at Yelvertoft in the morning and at Newton (near Rugby) in the evening.
As always, thank you for your prayers and support.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment