Sunday 17 August 2014

A proper welcome

Most of the folk that receive this news or read by email it on my blog are confident Christians and I suspect that the majority, like me, will have never been inside a betting shop.  I think I might find it a strange experience.  Some betting shops have painted windows that prevent one from seeing inside.  I actually don't know much about betting but I know that when betting on horse races there are things called "Odds" which my schoolboy maths should help me to understand.  But I have heard people talking about "Each Way" and "On the nose" and "Accumulators".  Then there's "Ajax " (and it's not a cleaner), and what is meant by"Bar Price"?  It all sounds too complicated for me!  I just wouldn't know what to do if I went into a betting shop.  I would feel conspicuous.  People might stare at me!

I guess that's the way some folk feel about going to church.  After all you can believe in God without going to church, in the same way that you could enjoy watching a horse race on the TV.  Some churches have coloured windows so you cannot see in from outside.  They have their own distinct jargon and use words that mean nothing to most people (Grace!  That's a girl's name isn't it!).  How do you know when to stand, sit or kneel?  As for singing... you can forget that!

Perhaps it would help if we stop and ask ourselves what the church experience means for ourselves.  It might be worship, or Bible teaching, or fellowship and friendship, or all three, or something else.  But if we put ourselves in the shoes of those neighbours or friends that don't go to church, what might they gain by coming?  And how might we help them discover the good things that church has to offer?

In my mission consultancy work I usually ask the people in the church where I am working to describe their church.  Almost invariably they will say, "We are friendly and welcoming".  But when I ask them to describe how they would welcome a friend turning up unexpectedly at their home we discover that this is vastly different from how they welcome people at church.  Let me describe two experiences I have had.

The first was when I was part of a team conducting a series of outreach meetings for several village churches in Essex. Part way through the series we arrived at one church after having had a couple of week's break.  We were shocked to find that the local church members had not put up any posters or distributed the leaflets we had left them.  There were two elderly men in the church (possibly the entire membership) who explained that it was no good putting up posters or giving out leaflets as no one comes from outside anyway.  The mission team got on with the task of getting the publicity out.

At the first meeting a few folk from another village church turned up and took seats near the front of the chapel.  The two men turned up and took their seats at the back on either side of the chapel.  We were just about to start when a lady walked in who we did not recognise.  The two men turned their back on her but the folk at the front gave her a cheery welcome to come and sit with them.  That night we learned that this woman was seriously planning suicide, but she welcomed Jesus into her life instead.  As she left the two men again turned away from her.  One of them told me "She won't come again; they never do!"  She did attend every meeting and has gone on in the faith

I visited a village church in Herefordshire.  It had a reputation of being a growing church with a strong local membership and I was there researching its story.  On the Sunday (my first day) I followed others into the church through a new main entrance into the bright atrium that bridged the chapel and the hall.  Here I was met my a man and woman who instantly recognised that I was a visitor.  They introduced themselves by name, welcomed me and engaged in warm and friendly conversation, clearly wanting to know more about me.  There was a visitor's book on a stand and I was asked if I would like to write in it.

The woman then invited me into what was a large hospitality area from which a side door led into the main chapel.  Here there was a man handing out hymn books and notice sheets.  I saw him discreetly pick up another card which I correctly guessed had information for visitors.  The lady introduced me by name to the mad at the inner door who then asked where I would like to sit but suggested I would get a very good view from the gallery.  I agreed and he then left his post, still chatting to me in a warm and friendly way and informed me that there was a farming family to whom he would like to introduce me.  Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a woman rise and take his place at the door.

On arrival in the gallery I was again introduced by name to the family who, I was informed had attended the church since it was a much smaller congregation.  Again, interest in who I was, where I lived, and what I did made me the focus.  I felt thoroughly included, and at home.  After the service I was looked after throughout the time as we gathered informally in the atrium for coffee.  Lots of smiles and pleasant introductions.  The growth in congregation (possibly ten times its original size had as much to do with the hospitality shown to visitors as the worship style (fairly traditional) or the preaching.

Some people are just great at hospitality, and clearly these should be given the task of ensuring that everyone that comes through the door feels appreciated from the start.  Take a moment to think about your own church and consider whether the hospitality people experience there matches the best kind of hospitality that is shown by a good host receiving a visitor to his or her home.  Are you using the right people?  Strangely, one of the ways in which new people to our church seem to have settled is by accepting their offer to help wash up after coffee.

Why not add a comment on this blog describing the welcome people receive in your church.

From the diary
  • A busy pastoral week has just past.  For example, on one day I visited the home in the village where a lovely man had just died.  I then visited the home of a man whose funeral I had conducted the week before.  I then visited a family back in Market Harborough for whom the local funeral director had asked if I would conduct a funeral (two Congregational ministers having moved to new locations recently).
  • Over recent months an unusual situation had caused a considerable amount of distress to a number of churches.  The matter is far too complicated to go into here but it has presented a challenge to me to seek to understand the situation and act appropriately.  It has been yet another example that there is considerable cost to pay if you choose not to "pass by on the other side" ( The Good Samaritan - see Luke 10: 25-37)
  • During the week I met with Lorna (a lay minister at our village Parish Church) to plan the outline for a week of mission to three villages as part of 'Hope in our Villages).  More information about that to follow.
  • I will be conducting Sunday meetings at Yelvertoft this morning and next Sunday.
  • The week is largely free from engagements (apart from Sundays and the regular ministry at HMP Gartree on Tuesday) but there are bound to be more challenging situations to address, pastoral work, and the inevitable administration.  This last item will include letters of thanks to those who have sent donations over the last few busy weeks.  We are grateful for the way your prayers and support keep our ministry going.
Something to ponder:  Do you think Jesus had a sense of humour, and if so where does it show in the gospels?

Thank you so much for your interest and prayers.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment