Saturday 2 August 2014

What is a living sacrifice?

As I look back over the many years of Christian ministry I have experienced I am thankful for many wonderful influences in my life.  As far a I can remember we used to get two Sunday School prizes each year: one at Christmas and a special one at our annual big anniversary celebration.  The prizes I received were all books about pioneer missionaries and I still have many of them on my bookshelves today.  These were not only inspiring stories; they were also role models.

A Christian school teacher brought to my attention the work of the Mission Aviation Fellowship at a time when the slaughter of five missionaries in the Amazon Basin hit the national news.  Their dedication and costly service was a challenge, and I was greatly moved by the words written in the Bible of one of them, Jim Elliuot.  It read  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

It was therefore not surprising that on Easter Saturday 1963 I struggled to sing the hymn "When I survey the wondrous cross". I had just listened to a talk based on the gracious words of Jesus on the cross, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do".  I was already a Christian but that was the evening that I realised that Jesus suffered on the cross not just so that I could be forgiven, but also because he loved me.

I knew well the words of that hymn and I knew that I dared not sing the final verse unless I was sure that with God's help I could mean every word.  I prayed as I sang my way through three verses and then sang with all my heart, "Love so amazing, so divine demands my soul, my life, my all." From that moment I knew that God had the prior claim on my life.

In Romans 12 verse 1 we read, "Therefore, I urge you brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - which is your true and proper worship" (NIVUK).  The NT Greek translated "true and proper worship" is logikos latreia. Logikos  translates as that which is reasonable or logical.  Of the four occasions in which latreia appears in the New Testament, the NIV twice translates it as worship and twice as service.  It is our engagement in service for God that is the offering we give in an act of worship.

But a study of the Old Testament reveals that sacrifices made to God always had to be the best.  If it was not costly then there was no genuine gift to God.  It also has to be made willingly.  The previous chapters of Paul's letter to the Christians in Rome set out the wonder of salvation through the generosity of God, and how this message of salvation and eternal life is for all people, Jew and Gentile.  Chapter twelve begins with the word, "Therefore..." It is in the light of all that God has done for us and our salvation that to offer our bodies to him in service is the logical and reasonable response.

But Paul was not a mere theorist when it comes to theology; he was also a practitioner.  This is the man who endured horrendous things for the sake of spreading the gospel, who though he knew violence and death were ahead of him pressed on, not counting his life as precious to himself; this was the man who said he would gladly spend everything he had and allow his very self to be expended for the sake of the faith of others. (See 2Cor 11:24-28; Acts 20:24; 2 Cor 12:15)

Romans 12:1 also tells us that the sacrifice has to be holy.  That means set apart or separated to God.

When I began this posting some ten days ago I was reflecting on some of the challenges that face Christian leaders these days in their dealings with others.  These days employment law is such that for a manager to admonish a subordinate could carry risks of being sued if not done sensibly.  Raising your voice or speaking too firmly could bring a claim of constructive dismissal.  The same is true if you fail to give opportunity for advancement to someone judged to be lazy.  It's a crazy world.  And the situation is not that dissimilar in the realm of voluntary service.

Sadly some in Christian work resent it if asked to work extra hours or to tackle a difficult task.  Of course, those in leadership should act responsibly and never take advantage of others.  However, I fear that both Paul and Jesus might have been in trouble with the Human Resources Departments regarding what they expected of others.

Discipleship is not a 37.5 hours per week commitment; it is absolute.  And the needs of this world cry out for those who will give full commitment.  How can we pray, "Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as in heaven" and then hold back our gift so that we can spend it unnecessarily on things for self!

At the same time those in leadership should recognise the precious trust given to them and remember that in the kingdom of God there are no lords over others.

In Leviticus 1: 1-13 we read how a burnt offering was to be made.  Each separate part of what was offered  had to be washed and placed separately on the altar. No doubt this is what inspired Frances Havergal's hymn, "Take my life, and let it be consecrated Lord to thee"  Each succeeding verse expresses that sense of all our being offered to God.  Some hymns are hard to sing if we want to be sincere.

From the diary

  • An appointment with my doctor has diagnosed a form of sciatica and tests are being carried out to try to find the cause.  Some mornings I have experienced almost unbearable pain.  Special neuropathic painkillers seem to be helping but have a side effect of making me feel tired!
  • Our three villages and eight churches united Songs of Praise and picnic on 20th July was held under Hope in our Villages and proved a great blessing and a good witness.
  • A talk on my ministry in prison given to a branch of the Mothers' Union was well received and also gave an opportunity to talk about the excellent work of Futures Unlocked.  One of our church members is a mentor with this organisation.
  • A Rural Support Meeting for a network of church leaders in parts of Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Rutland was very encouraging with some wonderful stories shared.  These local networks are easy to arrange so if there isn't one in your area do please contact me as I will be happy to provide guidance to assist you.
  • Sunday 3rd August, Yelvertoft Congregational Church
  • Monday 4th to Friday 8th August, Holiday at Home outreach in Market Harborough.  This is an annual event set up by the local Methodist Minister and former Associate Evangelist in Mission for Christ, Brian Kennard.  People from various churches help to put together a great programme each morning.
  • Monday 4th August.  Instead of being at Holiday at Home I will be taking a funeral service for someone from Yelvertoft.  Please pray that God's word will find a resting place.
  • Monday 4th August - Special WW1 Commemoration Service in the village.
  • Thursday 7th August.  Once more I shall be absent from Holiday at Home on important business.
  • Saturday 9th August.  Prayer Walking in Derbyshire and Staffordshire.
  • Sunday 10th August.  Yelvertoft Congregational Church in the morning and Newton URC in the evening.
Your prayers for these activities will be appreciated but please also pray as I reflect of my own offering of service to the Lord.  Pray that I might be all that God would want me to be and do all he would want me to do.  I pray the same for you, with thanksgiving for your love and friendship.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment