Friday 27 April 2012

A Challenging Walk

As we come to the end of a very wet week I am contemplating my planned sponsored walk this Saturday.  I am combining it with a periodic walk with some of the men from the church at Yelvertoft.  Since they will not wish to do the entire 13+ miles the plan is to walk cross country for the first half, at which point we will meet up with our women folk who will join us for lunch.  In the afternoon I plan to complete the remainder of the walk alone.  The weather forecast is over-clouded but not raining.

You will know that the Bible uses the imagery of a walk for our spiritual and moral life.  At this stage I have no idea of what the ground will be like even if it does not rain.  The soaking the ground has had could make it heavy going or even slippery in places.  In the same way I have no idea of the hazards that might like along my spiritual journey.  Have you found it heavy going recently.  I hope you won't be discouraged but will keep right on to the end of the road.

My thanks to those who have signed up to sponsor me.  The event is in aid of a Christian Aid project supporting development schemes in Nicaragua.  My church is part of the Congregational Federation which is seeking to raise £30,000 over three years.  Every penny helps.  I find that it is good to look beyond our own needs as a mission organisation and do something for someone else occasionally.  If you would like to help me achieve a little more you will find a form you can complete on line at barryosborne.blogspot.com.  If you use this I will let you know how I got on and how you can get the money to me.  No offer is too small.

May is going to be busy and some of this past week has been taken up planning itineraries, booking travel and accommodation.  I hope you will be travelling with me through your prayers.  If you use Twitter you will be able to follow me at @ruralbarry or at #barryswalk if you just want to keep in touch during my travels starting this Saturday.

From the Diary
Saturday 28th -  Sponsored Walk Welford, Northants to Market Harborough, Leics.
Sunday 29th - 9.00  Gartree Prison Service;  10.00  Yelvertoft Congregational Church; 6.00 Theddingworth Congregational Church.
Tuesday 1st - Flying to Glasgow
Wednesday & Thursday representing the Congregational Federation at the CTBI Senior Church Representatives Forum.
Thursday 3rd - Flying back home.
Friday 4th - an Area Association committee meeting, Ashby de la Zouche, Leics.
Sunday 6th - Yelvertoft
Tuesday 9th - Gartree Prison
Wednesday 10th (?) Post Graduate Event in Winchester (Almost certainly I will have to miss and apologise)
Thursday 11th - Fly to Edinburgh and train to Stirling
Friday & Saturday - Congregational Federation's Special Annual Assembly
Saturday evening - Fly to Heathrow where I will be taken to the Salvation Army Conference venue at Sunbury on Thames.
Sunday 13th - Teaching on the pastoral care of sexual abuse victims for the Salvation Army
Sunday evening train to Winchester
Monday 14th - attending Winchester University
Tuesday 15th - Train back to home and back to my weekly activity in Gartree Prison.

Such an intensive programme is not ideal.  Please pray that spiritually, physically and mentally I will remain fit.  Please also pray for Doreen, especially for the two block periods I am away from home.

It is possible that I will not be able to write my blog/newsletter next weekend so please keep this one handy so you can follow me with your prayers.

Thank you.

Barry



No comments:

Post a Comment