Sunday 15 April 2012

Full but looking for the next meal

So here we are, late on Saturday evening, writing this week's blog.  What a wonderful week we have had.  It seems such a long time since last Saturday there has been so much wonderful blessing and activity.  I am truly full in many ways but eager to have more soon.

Last Sunday we celebrated the risen Christ at Yelvertoft.  Have you ever stopped to think about why Jesus revealed himself to various individuals.  For Peter, a personal meeting might have been about reassurance.  For Thomas it was a response to his doubts.  Why did James get a special personal meeting?  Could it have had something to do with the fact that he would be martyred fairly soon - the assurance of life beyond life?  And what about those two going to Emmaus?  It makes a marvellous sermon illustration but I suspect that Jesus had an immediate reason for wanting to meet with them in their sadness and disillusionment and not the provision of countless sermon illustrations.

Hopefully you too, like me, have a sense of having met with the risen Christ.  I know Jesus is alive because we were talking together recently! Yes?

On Easter Monday Doreen and I went and picked up Rick Hartley from Birmingham Airport.  The spare bedroom was almost entirely cleared and was clean and tidy once again (though our own bedroom has gained a few items temporarily)!  On Tuesday we set off for the Ministers/Church Leaders Conference for the Congregational Federation.  The event was held at Hothorpe Hall, near Market Harborough.  Much of the planning and running of this event became my responsibility, though I hasten to add I had some helpful colleagues.  The theme was partnership in mission and we used the illustration of dance.  We started by looking at getting all the members of our churches 'on the floor' joining in the dance.  We then looked at Dancing with our friends (neighbouring churches of other traditions), then the 'excuse me' dance where you might find yourself dancing with a stranger (other faiths and secular organisations), then not too young and not too old to dance.  Finally we drew it all together with a challenge to 'Keep dancing!'

Taking time out learning to line dance!
Rick led the Bible studies and found a hungry audience.  All our guest speakers were excellent and my four colleagues who planned and led the worship times excelled expectations.  My good friend Janet Wootton drew each evening to a close with inspiring thoughts.  We even enjoyed some recreation together doing line dancing (I must have lost two stones)!

We got home on Friday afternoon so in the evening I took Rick for a walk along the local canal.  On Saturday morning we set off for more walking in the village of Foxton, on to Foxton Locks and in the afternoon we walked towards Theddingworth along the canal tow-path and met the sponsored walkers coming the opposite way.  We then walked back to Foxton Locks and cross country to Market Harborough.  I guess we walked some six miles.  We finished the week travelling to Leicester for a fellowship meeting where Rick spoke again.  I am filled up with good fellowship, spiritual challenge and inspiration, Bible teaching, and now a Big Mac and Fries!  But I will be hungry again in the morning in more ways than one.

The coming week
Sunday morning we take Rick to Yelvertoft where he will speak in our morning meeting.  Afterwards we shall go out for lunch with some of the congregation.  Then we take Rick back to Birmingham.

This would normally be a holiday period time for Doreen and me so the diary is fairly clear for two weeks.  I will be ministering at Yelvertoft, doing essential pastoral work, but otherwise essential reading for my research degree.

Other information
If you are on Facebook you can see lots of photos from the Conference on my page.  If you are not on Facebook you might consider it so we can share news between us.  You can always control your privacy settings.  Let me know if you need help.  Go to www.facebook.co.uk.  Once on Facebook please link up with me as a 'Friend'.

I had given up on Twitter as I found the trivial tweets coming my way very annoying.  However, having found how tweeting can be useful I took part in #leadersconf.  If you are on Twitter do read what people said during the Conference.  I have also now created #ruralevangelism.  Do become a follower of 'ruralbarry' and tweet me.

With Christian love,

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment