Saturday 7 April 2012

Easter puts an end to the doldrums

I find myself today (Saturday) wondering how the twelve and other close disciples felt as the fact of the crucifixion had sunk in but before the resurrection.  Despite Jesus having pointed to life beyond his death they would have felt a sense of finality - the end to their three year adventure; the end to all they had hoped.  There is no biblical evidence for anything other than despair and confusion.  I am sure none of them could possibly have imagined what was to take place the next day.

There have been unsettling times in my life, and probably also in yours.  An unexpected end to four phases of ministry have taken place during the long years of service for Jesus.  My inclination is to go for the long haul, so God has at times had to prise my fingers off that to which I held so firmly.  I have always found this a painful experience; letting go does not come easily.  Each time there has been a deep sense of loss.  But in each case what seemed like an end has led to something new and splendid: a kind of resurrection.

It is all too easy to drift into a mood of hopelessness and impossibility because of loss.  But the fact of the resurrection should inspire us always to believe that there is something better ahead, whatever life might be throwing at us now (not that there is a problem in my own life at the present).

When I was a young Christian in my teens someone older advised me to live as if Jesus died yesterday, rose today and is coming back tomorrow.  I have found that truly motivating.  I don't know who might have been the first to say this but I'm certainly glad it was passed on to me and I have done my best to pass it on to others.  I hope that this Easter we will all get excited by the incredible event when Jesus walked from his tomb.  The resurrection became a fundamental aspect of the gospel that was shared both with Jews and Gentiles.  Easter should fire us up to spread the good news.  I hope you'll find someone among your family and friends who needs to hear the good news and will hear it from you this week.

The past week
Much of the past week has had to be spent clearing out our spare bedroom ready for a guest from the USA.  I had accumulated paper from as far back as the mid 1980s.  Among the many boxes and piles there were some treasures found but I've tried to be radical and feel better for the clear-out.  I would have rather been doing many other urgent things but some times you just have to take out time to clear rubbish from our lives.

The much awaited Prison Concert took place on Wednesday.  After the practise on Tuesday I felt we were perhaps 55% ready but we experienced an "It'll be all right on the night" the following day.  We had a good attendance, a great atmosphere, and the lads made me proud.  They also embarrassed me with a standing ovation afterwards.  Thank you for your prayers.

The week ahead
We will start the week celebrating the risen Christ.

On Monday I collect the Rev'd Dr Rick Hartley (a colleague from the USA) from Birmingham Airport.  Rick will be leading the Bible Studies at the Leaders Conference I have helped to organised.

Tuesday to Friday Doreen and I will be at the Leaders Conference.  I will be responsible for various aspects and will be speaking at the opening session on the Tuesday.  The theme of the conference is partnership in mission and on each day we will be exploring the possibilities and challenges of engaging in partnerships of various kinds.  Please pray that the Lord will make this a time of blessing and refreshing as well as informative.

Saturday Rick will still be with us so we have organised an opportunity for Congregational churches in Leicestershire to meet up for an evening of informal fellowship, praise and worship, with Rick speaking.

Sunday 15th Rick is our guest at Yelvertoft.  I will lead the morning meeting and he will speak.  After lunch we take him back to Birmingham.

Back to today
I was intrigued to note John 20:10 recently.  It would be easy to read more into this simple statement about going back to their homes than perhaps John intended.  In much the same way people have speculated about John 21:2&3 where Peter announces he is going fishing.  Both passages could be understood as implying a sense of lost hope.  When we lose our hope and find ourselves stuck with the 'day after crucifixion' emotions it is easy to slip back into the old and comfortable ways.

I hope that, like me, you are eagerly looking forward to the focus on the resurrection and the assurance of redemption and the hope of life everlasting that it brings.  Hallelujah!  He IS risen!

Barry



No comments:

Post a Comment