Saturday 5 May 2012

On the move for God

The voice on the other end of the phone asked me if I had realised there was a rail strike affecting trains running to the airport.  I hadn't been aware but a visit to the station enlightened me that if I was to make my flight on Tuesday I would have to catch a train 45 minutes earlier than expected.  The phone call had come from the taxi firm that connects the rail station to the airport.  So began this past weeks journeyings that took me to Glasgow and the Senior Representatives Forum of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland.


Right now I feel I could write a book about the 24 hour event based in the Gorbals in Glasgow.  This is an area of deprivation and was originally a leper colony separate from Glasgow.  We met in the Parish Church (Church of Scotland, of course) and heard wonderful accounts of how the church was involved in helping to build healthy communities.  A poverty survey brought the poor and deprived into contact with movers and shakers in the wider society, giving the poor a voice and an audience to hear them.  This had resulted in  some radical action.  There was an ongoing programme of bridge-building tackling various divisions in society, that had also led to good work with asylum seekers.  Then there was Givin' it Laldie - a music based cross-generational programme running several choirs and using music for community building, creating a sense of well being.  Alongside these local stories we also heard how churches in other areas were also active in being good news locally.


While my own great passion is to share the story of Jesus with people, I recognise that alongside the story telling we need to see the gospel in action.  What I saw and heard in the Gorbals was certainly that.  James, the brother of Jesus, would certainly have applauded what is happening there (See James 2: 14-18).  One of the great hindrances to evangelism is the poor image most people have of Christians and the churches.  I found myself wondering what it would be like to see other local churches selflessly addressing the needs of those around them in similar ways to what I encountered this week.


My flight home arrived just in time for me to catch the last train home (schedule affected by the industrial action).  I note also that my journey back to Scotland this Thursday will also be affected!


Last Sunday I had an exciting time in prison as I took the service.  The coordinating chaplain had pointed me towards John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.".  The first Bible talk I ever gave was at the age of 16 and was on Psalm 23 and referred to Isaiah 53:6 and John 10:11, so in the first part of the service on Sunday I shared my testimony.  Later we reflected on the lost and found parables, and finally we looked at the psalmist's confidence in God as his shepherd.  The choir had been practising harmonies using We are marching in the light of God and had asked to sing it in the service, so it fitted well with part three - the experience of those who know God as their shepherd.  Several testified afterwards to the impact of the service on their lives.


For praise and prayer
Give thanks for safety in travel including the timeliness of that phone call.
Give thanks for the ministry at HMP Gartree - both the Sunday service and Tuesdays with the choir.
Give thanks for the extraordinary work being done by the Parish church in the Gorbals, Glasgow.
Please pray for this Sunday's ministry at Yelvertoft, Northants.
Please pray for the busy schedule from Thursday to the following Tuesday:
Thursday - fly to Edinburgh and onward to Stirling
Friday - meet with members of the International Congregational Fellowship from around the world, helping them with some constitutional matters.
Friday and Saturday - Congregational Federation Assembly meetings
Saturday - fly to Heathrow and meet with Dean Juster of the Salvation Army
Sunday 13th - Worship and Teaching on the Salvation Army's Safe and Sound Programme, Sunbury on Thames
Sunday evening - travel by train to Winchester
Monday - day studying at Winchester University, with an evening session on research skills.
Tuesday - travel home in time to go to prison for the choir.
Please also pray for Doreen while I am away from home that she will be kept safe.
Finally, give thanks with me for the wonderful experience of being brought into a vibrant relationship with a holy, loving, generous God.  What a salvation!


If you use Twitter see #barryswalk to keep up to date on my journeys at this time.


Barry



No comments:

Post a Comment