Saturday 19 May 2012

Ministry evokes positive responses

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your continued interest and prayers.

The past week
When the week began I was in the midst of an itinerary.  I flew from Edinburgh to Heathrow to teach at a Safe & Sound session for the Salvation Army at their conference centre in Sunbury on Thames.  Usually I have a whole morning and afternoon but on this occasion because of my commitment in Dunfermline on Saturday it had to be compressed into just a morning session after an opening devotional which I also led.  Once again the input was very well received and I hope that it not only makes the SA a safer place but also a supportive place for those who in the past have been sexually abused.

Incidentally, the Congregational Federation Assembly was full of blessing.  It was a great joy to be there and I was sorry that the two commitments clashed, and grateful to the SA for changing the agenda around me.

On Sunday afternoon I made my way back into London and from Waterloo down to Winchester for a study day and a special session on the Monday evening.  To make life a little more comfortable I had arranged to stay over at the university until Tuesday morning.  I then caught the train back to London and on to Market Harborough in time to go to the prison for my weekly time with the choir.  It was a good practice and good time of discussion afterwards.  Thank you for your prayers for prisoners C & M who had caused problems the week before.  M was absent and C was helpful.  Please keep praying for them.

On Thursday I met with my local management group who keep an eye on my ministry activities, finance and general well being.  This is the team to which I am accountable for activities other than related to the church at Yelvertoft and denominational elements.  It was an encouraging and supportive time.  Some helpful decisions made but more about that another time.

Thursday also included a pastoral visit prior to the funeral on Friday.  Village funerals are significant social events affecting just about the whole community.  The chapel was packed on Friday for what was quite an amazing time.  Afterwards there were many nice comments both from the family concerned and others in the village.  One man said that this was the second time he had attended something at our church and each time it had the 'wow factor'.  If only people who see a glimpse of life with Jesus would take that one more step that could so bring blessing into their lives!

Saturday has been spent on admin (as was Wednesday) and preparation for tomorrow.  I also met with a couple getting married at Hothorpe Hall (nearby) and who want a service of blessing afterwards.  As I have mentioned before this provides a gospel opportunity.

The coming week
This Sunday I have two meetings in the morning.  I am taking a service at the prison at 9.00 and then at Yelvertoft (17 miles away) at 10.45.  Please pray that I do not get held up at the prison.  I have felt led to focus on the life of Esther and there are several issues that will relate to life in prison so I hope it will be very helpful.  At present I am not entirely sure what we will be looking at in Yelvertoft but it is possible this will be from 1Peter chapter 2, which has kept coming up.

On Monday we have a Sunrise Ministries trustees meeting in London.  Here three prospective trustees will be meeting with the existing trustees.  Please pray not just for the meeting to be useful but for wisdom and guidance as we seek to strengthen the trustee board.

On Tuesday I will be taking a school assembly at Yelvertoft and hope to meet with a builder afterwards.  The church has planning permission to provide access for wheelchairs and internal alterations.  It has been 12 months coming and coincides with our 350th anniversary.  raising funds will be a challenge but the work has to be done.  Then in the afternoon I will be in prison again.

On Wednesday there are two meetings, both at the Arthur Rank Centre in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire.  The first meeting is a Country Way Editorial meeting and this is followed by a meeting of the Churches Rural Group, which I now chair.  This is a coordinating group of Churches Together in England but also draws from Scotland and we hope soon from Wales.  The Group is concerned for all matters of rural life and the presence and work of the churches in rural areas.

On Friday I have my regular three-yearly colonoscopy.  The last one was clear and all well, but the one before led to the removal of a polyp.  A colonoscopy is not as uncomfortable as a gastroscopy (I have one of those every two years) but the preparation day is unpleasant so there will be two days out of this week.

If I am up to it there is the Assembly of the Leicester Diocese on Saturday that I should attend and ministry again on Sunday.

Please give thanks for
  • The local management team and the trustees that stand behind our ministry
  • The excellent time at Gartree Prison last Tuesday
  • An exciting Congregational Assembly in Scotland last weekend
  • Travelling mercies in a busy schedule
  • The Lord's provision through the week
  • The responses to the teaching at the SA event in Sunbury and following the service of thanksgiving (funeral) on Friday.
Please pray for
  • Ministry this Sunday at prison and at Yelvertoft - may God be heard to speak and hearts be open
  • School assembly Tuesday morning
  • Choir practice in prison on Tuesday (especially for M&C)
  • Wednesday's meetings in Stoneleigh
  • Hospital visit with endoscopy on Friday
My heart is overflowing with praise and thanks to God for all the blessings that are totally undeserved but flow from his generosity.  I hope that you are also conscious of the Lord's presence and blessing.

Yours sincerely in Christ,

Barry







No comments:

Post a Comment