Sunday 1 July 2012

Helping to prepare others for ministry


Dear praying friends,
I am starting to write this at almost midnight on Saturday 30th June and I apologise to those who like to look it up on the internet on Saturday evenings.  I am sitting in a hotel room in Nottingham and my only link with the internet is via my mobile phone so I am not sure whether the connection will be good enough for sending out the emailed version.  So if this comes to you late please understand and forgive me.
A busy week has culminated with a weekend of activity with students on the Congregational Federation’s Integrated Training Course.  It started at 7.30pm on Friday and part of my responsibilities was to lead the opening worship.  I had felt that the Lord wanted me to speak on “Why are you here?” and encourage the very mixed group to reflect on how we engage with God’s purposes.  The question was one of three questions that three Dannite spies put to an isolated un-named Levite who had got himself engaged as a private priest and compromised with idolatry.  I think he could not have given the questions much thought as he was later taken by the same spies and turned into a tame priest for their purposes and still embroiled in idolatry. 
A similar question was put to Elijah after he had fled in fear from Jezebel and saw no point to living, feeling that he was the only one who feared the Lord.  How wrong he was and how blind to the fact that God was still enacting his purposes to bring his people back to himself.  We reflected on the twin dangers of drifting aimlessly and/or allowing discouragement to rob us of victory and joy.
On Saturday morning and afternoon a colleague from an urban context and I jointly engaged in a shared discussion on rural and inner-city ministry and mission, while the audience of tutors and students interacted with us with considerable enthusiasm.  This covered two 90 minute sessions and worked well.
Now I am putting the finishing touches to the service plan for the morning meeting here in Nottingham with the students, tutors and members of the local church.  The theme I have felt led to is one that looks at excuses.  We use far too many as we seek to justify ourselves before God.
I hope you managed to catch the 5 seconds of me conducting the choir on Channel 4 on Monday or Tuesday.  It was a shame that the piece they recorded of the choir singing in beautiful harmony ended on the cutting room floor and showed instead a rather rough rendition of a carol!  Still the film would have given a little idea of what a lifers prison experience is – though many of us felt it failed to tell much that would have been of value.
On Tuesday I took the school assembly at Yelvertoft before going into prison.  Then that evening I travelled to London ready to speak at the Salvation Army Training College on Wednesday.  After the morning and afternoon sessions I sat a while and talked about scripture with a special advisor to the House of Lords.  Then it was on a train again heading for East Sussex.
Many reading this as an email attachment will know that my first 25 years of Christian ministry were partly spent in a rural evangelistic mission.  After I left the organisation certain matters came to light that ultimately led to the founder/director of that mission serving a prison sentence for shameful acts.  After the court hearing I did what I could to help the trustees understand how the organisation’s culture and management had contributed to multiple acts of abuse.  Resulting from this a friend who had been one of the co-writers with me of Time for Action had been invited to become a trustee and had ultimately become the Chair of Trustees.  Two weeks ago I received a phone call in which she asked if I would join her and the only other active trustee in seeking to sort out problems into which the organisation has more recently found itself.  I was soon to realise how critical the situation was, calling for some urgent decisions and actions.  So it was that Wednesday evening and most of Thursday was spent exploring the scope of the problems and exploring how the problems might be resolved.
So it was a very full week yet again, and I am sure that were it not for your prayers it would have been even more challenging.
Praise God
·        for safe and smooth travel, especially in a week when the weather made travel difficult for thousands;
·        for the attentiveness of children and staff at the school assembly;
·        for yet another good session with prisoners in Gartree;
·        for a really positive time with Salvation Army cadets as we tackled the difficult subject of sexual abuse in a Christian context, how to reduce risk and support victims;
·        for the commitment of trustees and staff in the mission I am helping;
·        for the wonderful fellowship at Nottingham with students and tutors and for my fellow guest speaker who shared the two Saturday sessions.
Please Pray…
·        for the life of Yelvertoft School and the team from the local churches as we take assemblies.  Pray that young hearts will see Jesus in us and be drawn to him.  We cannot use these occasions for preaching or evangelism, but we share the good news through our relationship with the children and school;
·        for the members of Gartree Male Voice Choir.  A prisoner (R) who was recently transferred back to Gartree and who was and is again a member of the choir has served almost twice the length of his tariff (minimum sentence) and is perplexed why he is in this situation.  For most of the prisoners the choir is the most positive part of their weekly life;
·        for the Salvation Army Cadets who this weekend will be commissioned and go out as new officers to various SA churches;
·        for wisdom for the trustees of that mission organisation;
·        for the Congregational students as they explore their vocations and work through the training programme;
·        for my work in prison on this Tuesday;
·        for an important discussion in which I will be involved on Wednesday;
·        for meetings on Friday and Saturday in Nottingham when some of those on the training course will come before the Pastoral Care Board, with some hoping to be approved to become ministers.
Prayer is so important.  We dare not serve God and his people in our own strength.  Please pray for me and Doreen; it will be good to have more time together this week.  Pray that God will continue to sustain us spiritually, and in every other way.
Thank you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment