Saturday 23 June 2012

Floods! Some unwanted but some wanted.

The news over the past day or so is of the flooding in the north west of England and my mind went to friends in that area, wondering whether they have suffered as so many have.  Disastrous as this event is for those whose homes and businesses have been ruined, there are other parts of the world that have experienced worse floods than this.


Often the Bible uses the image of water as a source of life and refreshing but is also symbolic of terror and destruction.  That was how Isaiah saw it when he wrote "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you." (Isa.43:2). I love the account in scripture where the disciples are caught in a storm several miles from the shore and at night.  Jesus comes to them walking on the water.  It's good to remember that he is always master over that which terrifies us.  Maybe if life holds some fear from you today you can picture the scene and invite Jesus to join you.  When he entered the boat it became calm.


Last weekend Doreen and I were in Wales and it was good to meet and worship with friends in Neath and in Llanhilleth.  We made our way home on Monday and were back to work on Tuesday.  After my regular work in the prison that day I travelled to Leicester for a meeting of the Leicester Diocesan Rural group. Our focus on this occasion was how to use church buildings for mission.


On Wednesday I travelled to London, having been invited to become a trustee of Action for Christ (formerly Mission for Christ).  It is now very different from what it was when I worked in this organisation from 1963 to 1988.  It also faces some significant challenges as well as potentially exciting possibilities.  I had not envisaged being involved in this work again but I will do my best to help them.  Your prayers for the organisation and for wisdom for the trustees will be appreciated.


On Thursday I was back in London.  This time it was for a meeting of the Churches Group for Evangelization (a coordinating group of Churches Together in England).  There was a lot of good news shared but also some concern as several denominations are experiencing cut-backs in their mission departments.  I am thankful that the mission and evangelism aspects of the Congregational Federation are expanding.  It was good to share too news of how my rural mission activities are connecting with Churches in Wales and Ireland.


Much of the time after Wednesday has had to be spent engaging with the issues of Action for Christ as I try to get up to speed with the task as quickly as possible.  But there was time for a school assembly in Lubenham, Leicestershire on Friday (where we considered the calling of the first disciples) and for pastoral visits in connection with my ministry at Yelvertoft.  However, pressure of other commitments meant I was unable to join friends in Rural Ministries who had a special celebration today.


This Sunday I am taking the morning meeting at Yelvertoft, Northants and then helping at Market Harborough Congregational Church in the evening.


On Tuesday I will be taking a school assembly at Yelvertoft before going to Gartree Prison.  Incidentally, you can see a TV programme made at the prison this Monday, 25th at 9.00pm on Channel 4.  It might include a little of a choir practice as they filmed this.


On Wednesday I will be at the Salvation Army Training College in Denmark Hill, London as part of the regular teaching programme to make churches safer places both to prevent abuse and also to care for those who have been abused.


On Friday to Sunday I will be at the Congregation Federation premises in Nottingham providing input for a training weekend.  This will include sessions on rural mission alongside a colleague looking at the urban context.


As always your prayers are appreciated but please also take time just to reflect on the goodness of God, and to give thanks for the superfluity of blessing.  May the springs of living water keep flowing and overflowing.  That is a flood we would welcome.


Barry







No comments:

Post a Comment