Sunday 15 July 2012

Total Salvation

Over the last few days I have had the words of an old gospel song running through my head. The song is simply called "Why" and is based upon the words of Colossians 2:13-15 "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having cancelled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross."


When a debt was owed the person owing the debt would sign a record of that indebtedness and in the time when this was written it might be recorded on a clay or perhaps a wax tablet.  When Paul wants to communicate the power of the forgiveness we gain through the death of Christ he puts three images together.  The record is blotted out - this suggests the way in which a wax tablet could be reused by simply melting the wax so that not a trace of the letters could be seen, creating as it were a clean slate.  Then Paul uses the expression "taken away".  This also brings to mind the image of the scapegoat over whom sins were confessed and it was then driven away (Leviticus 16) and also Psalm 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west so far has God removed our transgressions from us".  Then he uses an image for declaring a debt to have been cleared - a nail would be driven through the record.


The hymn "When peace like a river" picks this up with the words "My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought, My sin, not in part but the whole, Is nailed to his cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, O my soul."  And the refrain of the song running through my head goes:


All my iniquities on him were laid
He nailed them all to the tree
Jesus, the debt of my sin fully paid
He paid the ransom for me

I hope you have a wonderful awareness of what it means to be so fully forgiven and free.

The past week has been tiring.  We started with a lovely time of fellowship at Yelvertoft.  Debbie, a student on the Congregational Federation's training course joined us and is considering doing a six month placement with us.  She has another possible location so please pray as she seeks the Lord's guidance.

On Monday it was my last school assembly this school year at Lubenham.  It is so wonderful to see the interest of the children during these assemblies.  The year six pupils will now move to a large secondary school and I pray they will remember and treasure their primary school experiences.

On Tuesday I met with others in the morning for the final planning meeting of the Holiday at Home summer outreach activity week.  We already have a good number booked in.  It was good to welcome Brian, my Methodist colleague, back after a sabbatical.  Then it was off to prison for choir practice.  Our concert is this Wednesday and there are still many rough edges.

On Wednesday I met in Northamptonshire with representatives of some other mission organisations to explore possible areas of cooperation.  I then drove to Battle, East Sussex for a meeting with my colleague Monica Cook.

On Thursday I travelled to Peasmarsh, East Sussex, and spent the day working with Action for Christ.  A further short meeting and series of important phone calls followed on Friday morning and afternoon as I made my way back to Market Harborough.

This Sunday Elaine is joining us at Yelvertoft.  Elaine is a ministry colleague who is helping us commence some children's work. On Tuesday we have our final practice before the choir concert at HMP Gartree on Wednesday.  Thursday and Friday are set aside for some important aspects of work but I am unable to explain details at present.  Then next Sunday 22nd we will have our special Thanksgiving Service at Yelvertoft to boost the funds needed for our much needed alterations.  We have a target of around £20,000 to raise as quickly as possible.

Praise God for safe travelling throughout the past week, for the joy of good Christian fellowship, for successful meetings, and just for the wonderful and good God who cares for us.

Pray for guidance for Debbie, for the children who have sat under our ministry for the past year, for the Holiday at Home plans, for the choir and the concert on Wednesday early evening, for important meetings scheduled for Thursday and Friday, and for the church at Yelvertoft as we face the challenge of finding £20,000.  Someone once said that God's work undertaken in God's way will never lack God's supply.

I believe that the God who loved us so much that he gave his Son to die for you and me has a heart more generous than we will ever fully grasp.  And my trust is in him.  I hope yours is there too.

Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment