Saturday 24 December 2011

Happy Christmas

Let me start by wishing you a very happy Christmas.  I hope that you enjoy good company and an really blessed time.  I hope too that there will be space to reflect on the real meaning and purpose of Christmas.

A chest infection has effectively cancelled many aspects of Christmas for me.  I gave it to Doreen too which wasn't kind!  But we have looked after each other.  But it was a shame to have to apologise for being failing to be Father Christmas at a local school, and again for not taking the Seniors' Carol Service in the village, then not being present for our special Christmas warmer, and - worst of all - having to cancel our first possible Christmas day service at Yelvertoft chapel!!!!   Aaaargh!!

Church is about more than sermons
I did make it through last Sunday when we had a super special occasion at Yelvertoft Congregational Church.  Ann Lund is a regular part of the church there.  Her husband John is a good friend to us.  They wanted to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary with family and friends at church, and asked me to arrange a service in which they could renew their wedding vows.  I wonder what members of their family, some of whom had come considerable distances, were expecting!

The Happy Couple
John and Ann entered the church arm in arm to rapturous applause.  We sang hymns they had sung at their wedding, reflected on the gift of love from God, and had elements much the same as you would find in a wedding service.  This was followed by speeches from their children and a fantastic meal.  The centre of the church was cleared, tables laid and soon groaning with good things.  We managed to seat everyone - just.  Members of the congregation had contributed to purchase a £50 (to match the anniversary) basket of goodies that was unwrapped to the surprise of John and Ann.  Everything was gold (see picture).

The warmth of the fellowship was palpable.  One of the visitors said that if church was always like that he would come every week!  Well, he lived quite a way from us, but all the love and fellowship that created this wonderful occasion was our normal experience.  There are some things you can do in a village church that are somehow of a quality that town churches find hard to match.

Before being finally overcome with the chest infection (sleeping has been especially difficult) I did manage to get into Lubenham School and take an assembly.  I included in this the carol "It's Christmas Day" that was written by a 13 year old.  It went down very well.  So, in closing this posting I would like to add some links.  You will need to have sound turned on.  Click here if you want to see and hear this lovely carol.  For those (like me) who are particular about biblical facts you have to imagine a full stop after the bit about the shepherds and let the words "Guided by..." be the first part of what follows!  I think it's a super song.

Then, for those who appreciate something more 'cool' and 'groovy', take a look at this presentation of the passage from Luke 2.  It gets 12 out of 10 from me.  Both of those links are worth passing on to others.  I intend to see if we can get the latter one performed next year at the schools I work in.

Finally it has been gratifying and humbling to have a lot of interest in the 'Angels' Tearoom' sketch I have written.  If you have a church that likes to use such things you are welcome to download it from the Rural Mission Solutions website.

We planned to take almost all of next week off but I have colleagues abroad wanting me to provide material to help advance the gospel in their rural areas so some time I will be writing.  Otherwise, as I have been learning, it is good to 'come apart' before you come apart.

Peace and joy to you this Christmas,

Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment