Saturday 17 December 2011

The plans of mice and men...

You will recall that in the last Praise & Prayer News I mentioned that I had developed a cold and had to cancel a trip to Winchester on Monday.  Over the next few days things got worse.  I cancelled my weekly visit to Gartree Prison, then cancelled a Christmas Dinner, then apologised that I could not take the annual Christmas Carol Service for the older folk in the village, then yet another special Christmas event was cancelled.  At this point Doreen started to develop the same symptoms and I changed from being patient to nurse.  It is a particularly unpleasant virus with an unproductive irritating cough that robs one of sleep and leaves one feeling pretty exhausted.  Even the task of sending Christmas cards suffered as I kept dropping asleep until the next coughing fit awoke me.

So nothing of real interest to share with you!  On the plus side it was good to see how folk rallied round and things went on perfectly well without me.  I ought also to state that quite a lot of people have downloaded the simple Christmas drama, The Angel's Tearoom, and we had lots of appreciative comments.  It is still available at www.ruralmissionsolutions.org.uk/resources

As things are now I anticipate that I will be fit enough to take the meeting in the morning which will include renewal of marriage vows for a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this Christmas time.  I have planned a special service that will echo their original wedding.  After the services we are having a 'reception'.  Their relatives will be attending so I value your prayers that God's presence will be felt and that his word will produce a harvest.

Other diary engagements this week include...

Monday 19th School Assembly, Lubenham, Leicestershire

Tuesday 20th Final visit this year to Gartree Prison.  Christmas can be a very difficult time for men serving long sentences in prison.  Pray for wisdom and grace.

Wednesday 21st I should be back at Lubenham Primary School in full Father Christmas costume for the first two classes.  Despite the padding out with cushions and a disguised voice some of the children often recognise me, but it makes no difference as they just enjoy the fun.  Of course Father Christmas ensures that they remember whose birthday we are celebrating.

Friday 23rd I am expected at the annual round of carol singing in Theddingworth village.  It's a small village and we usually manage to do about 90% in an evening raising money for a children's hospice..

Christmas Day we have a simple but special service at Yelvertoft, Northants.

Doreen and I are then taking the rest of the week off and mostly resting at home, with one family gathering.  Most people reading this will have the usual hectic time with family activities over the holiday period.  However, if you are on your own, or if the mood takes you, we would really love to hear from you at some stage.  There are several ways in which we could enjoy a few moments of fellowship.
  • You could phone on either 01858 414930 or 07720 322213
  • If you use Skype, you can call me.  I am revbarry.
  • If you use Facebook, you can use chat.
We really are happy to have calls from friends.

Some of those receiving this will know that there is a super Christmas song written by a lad who was only 13 at the time.  Click this link as long as you have sound turned on on your computer/laptop/Ipad etc.  If you listen carefully you might spot something factually incorrect - though it depends where you put a semi-colon.

It only remains for me to thank you most sincerely for your friendship and fellowship through the year.  I pray that God will make this occasion very special for you, and will grant us a fruitful 2012in his service.

Barry

1 comment: