Saturday 16 October 2010

The Weekly News

In the TV programme "Dad's Army" Private Pyke was often addressed as "You stupid boy!"  That's what I called myself on Friday after receiving a phone call from a company based in India with links to Microsoft.  The caller (from India allegedly) was able to prove his credentials and then showed me that there were many faults on my laptop.  I then signed up to what I thought was a Microsoft sponsored package and parted with some cash via a credit card.

What then followed was about 20 minutes of activity remotely on my laptop during which a number of files were deleted (all of which I could have deleted), a couple of alterations were made to the appearance of my "desktop", a couple of files were added (one of which was a freeware programme), he tweaked a couple of items in the registry, and scanned the laptop for malware (which I am also able to do).  I became suspicious as none of this justified the money I had spent or addressed the alleged problem on my laptop.  I proceeded to check it out and discovered that the company "Comantra" was mentioned in articles about a scam!  So I had to restore the laptop to a time before they fiddled with it.

As far as I can tell there are no serious or on-going consequences, other than a bruised ego.  Wouldn't it be great if we could reset our lives to a point before we messed up?  Well, God does do something similar.  A friend who I consulted stated, "Be very careful who you hand over remote control of your computer to".  Similarly, we do well to act wisely as to who we hand over control of our lives to!

Past week's work etc
On Monday my visit to Winchester University went well.  There is now a stronger possibility of doing my MPhil with Winchester.  I need to get a move on if I am to hit the deadline of the end of October to start in February.

On Tuesday it was back to prison to work with the choir, only to find that two more choir members have been moved to other prisons.  We are shrinking rapidly which makes it all the harder to prepare for the concert.

On Wednesday Doreen had to prepare for her hospital visit (internal examination) on Thursday.  We were at the hospital for four hours.  Nothing alarming was discovered and the probable cause of her problem (that was discovered) is manageable.

Coming Week
Sunday 17th.  Morning taking the service at Yelvertoft and, in the evening, the service at Theddingworth.

Tuesday 19th. Afternoon at Prison and the evening at a Farm Crisis Network Harvest Supper.

Wednesday 20th.  My annual check-up on my "Barrett's Oesophagus" as part of the national cancer trial. Barrett's is pre-cancerous in a small percentage of cases and the hospitals are trialling medication they hope will prevent this.

Sunday 24th.  Yelvertoft with a special guest from Christian Aid to talk about a project we sponsor.

General: More writing/editing for the guidance notes on the care of those who have been victims of sexual abuse.  Also following up the recent rural mission consultation, and sending out the periodic newsletter for the Rural Evangelism network.

As always - a real thank you for your prayers and (as you are led) practical support.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment