Tuesday 5 October 2010

Up to some good!

Here we are at the end of another week and time to share some headlines and list some things for prayer.

Last Sunday we joined with the Parish Church at Yelvertoft for their Harvest Service.  The welcome was warm and genuine, and it remains my hope that we might see more balanced inter-church relations within the village. In the evening Doreen and I went to Theddingworth - numbers small but fellowship good.

On Monday I took part in the Country Way Editorial Group meeting.  The current issue looks splendid and we continue with the vexed question as to why something this could and so affordable has not yet achieved a wider readership.  It is now more than 17 years since I helped to launch it.  After the Editorial meeting I attended the Rural Theology Association meeting (both events being at the Arthur Rank Centre).

On Tuesday I had submitted apologies to two London-based meetings I should have attended - though being at two places at once would have been difficult!  The primary reason for this was the importance of being in the prison in the afternoon but it also gave me the opportunity of taking a school assembly in the morning.  In both of the schools I serve assembly themes seem to have been set by people who have little or no idea of how a meaningful and enjoyable Christian assembly could be conducted.  What would you have done with "What If?" as part of a series on this school has enterprise?  But I often find the Holy Spirit can be very creative!

On Friday we had a special Area Executive meeting for the Congregational Federation when we were due to discuss the possibility of appointing an Area Children's Worker.  I had been charged with the task of going with another colleague to meet with the Federation's Nation Children's Officer on the Wednesday to explore this from his position.  It proved a useful time and on return I prepared the papers for the Friday meeting where a positive decision was made.  Now the challenge is to get the churches (34 of them) all to think about how such an investment might best be used.  At times like this George Bernard Shaw's famous comment comes to mind, "Some men see things as they are and ask why.  I dream things that never were and ask why not".  Too many churches accept the status quo resignedly.

So what about this week?

Sunday morning at Yelvertoft  we were missing several of our regulars who were away at another event but had the joy of two folk from the Parish Church joining us.  We had a useful meeting and it was good to hear the comments afterwards.  In the afternoon we joined with others for an Area Assembly at Clarendon Park Church, Leicester.  This was the church i looked after for two years recently.  Their new minister has settled in well and the church continues to move forward.

Monday gave an opportunity for an Assembly at another school, and on this occasion I was able to draw on the story of Ruth and speak about God's plan and provision for us.

Tuesday - the day I am finally getting round to writing this - I am off to London to facilitate a discussion among those responsible for Child Protection issues within the main denominations.  I am doing this as someone who is independent but informed and sympathetic.  The purpose is to explore the future ways of working.

On Wednesday I am taking a small afternoon fellowship meeting for a Methodist Church then taking part in a meeting for the Leicester Diocesan Rural Group.

On Thursday I hope to squeeze in a meeting of my local management committee before setting off for Ditchingham on the border of Norfolk and Suffolk.  On Friday I will be leading a day of reflection on rural mission for local church leaders in that part of the world assisted by the Revd sally gaze who wrote "Mission Shaped and Rural".  I stay on at Ditchingham for Saturday's work with the Salvation Army teaching on their Safe & Sound Course.  The travelling on in the evening to Newark where I will be taking the Sunday morning service.

If all that seems busy then do support me with your prayers as I also have to find time to complete the editing of an important guidance paper for the Church of England on the care of those who have been sexually abused.  Words such a quart, pot and pint come to mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment