Saturday 27 February 2010

The future is not what it used to be

I loved this title which I read in my copy of The Professional Manager which arrived today.  It was the heading for an article about change in the world around us and the importance of understanding this and acting accordingly.  It's called scenario planning.  While the article was in a secular magazine the wisdom it contained was just as relevant for church life.  Sadly, there are still some who think that ignoring the changing world around us and keeping our buildings, furnishings, worship patterns, language and meeting times as they were in the past is vital.  What folly!  Whatever the future will be it certainly not be what it was.

I get the magazine as a Member of the Chartered Management Institute,  I did my management studies with the Open University back in the eighties.  It was doubly valuable as not only did I learn important stuff it also helped me to reflect theologically on what God expects of us in using all that he has given us for the purposes of his kingdom.  We need to learn to manage properly.  There is so much in the gospels that bears that out.  Anyway, in the same issue of the magazine is a four page main feature on chaplaincy in the workplace, and its value to organisations.  It is great to find a secular magazine published by a seriously significant organisation that celebrates the ministry of Christians outside our church buildings!  Who might have imagined that?  May be even the present is not what it used to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment