Saturday 3 September 2016

Feeling Out of Your Depth

When my grandfather was asked if he could swim, he assured me that he swam like a brick and could dive like a shovel.  Now that I’m my grandfather’s age at that time I guess it describes my swimming ability pretty well.  As a child I was afraid of water and dreaded school trips to swimming baths.  Later, with several friends I went to a series of adult swimming lessons.  It was quite a big group with two instructors.  Unfortunately, I was average and the instructors divided their time helping the worst and best of the class.  By the end of the course if I tried to swim freestyle I almost immediately went upright.  But I could float happily on my back, swam the width of the pool doing breaststroke and the length of the pool doing backstroke as long as the instructor walked alongside with a pole handy in case I got into trouble.  They declared me a swimmer but I have rarely been in a pool since.

Like many non-swimmers I am worried about getting out of my depth, and never developed the skill of treading water.  Strangely, so far, when life circumstances have resulted in my finding myself out of my depth, I haven’t panicked. And there are times when I do feel that circumstances have developed to cause me to be out of my depth.

We know that the apostle Peter could swim.  In John chapter 21 we read of Peter jumping out of a boat and swimming to the shore to meet the risen Jesus (see John 21: 7-14).  But on another occasion (see Matthew 14: 22-33) , when Peter had a go at walking on the water, he cried out to be saved as he began to sink beneath the waves.  When he swam he was not far from shore; when he tried to walk on water he was in the middle of the Lake of Galilee.  Perhaps Peter had a thing about not wanting to be out of his depth.

Even though Peter seems to be an impetuous character, at times he seems very cautious.  He was somewhat tentative about going to the home of Cornelius, and took others to support him.  On another occasion, he got into trouble by compromising on the issue of law and grace.  Sometimes we find ourselves in situations where our faith seems to be stretched thin and we lose our peace as the waves of the circumstances overwhelm us.  I have several friends who are currently doing battle with cancer.  Indeed, my own wife recently had surgery to remove a tumour.  Most seem to cope incredibly well.  The same cannot always be said of those who are closely related to them, who often feel suddenly out of their depth.

Sickness, financial difficulties, bad things that other members of our families do or are done to them, the sudden loss of employment, the breakdown of what had previously been a loving relationship, are just some of the things that can cause us to feel out of our depth.  Disobedience to God’s clear guidance got Jonah out of his depth in a violent life-threatening storm (See Jonah 1).  We don’t know whether he could swim but he knew the only hope for all concerned was to abandon himself to the waves.  Once I allowed myself to be talked out of what God had clearly shown me was his will for me.  Instead of acting immediately as I should have done, I agreed to delay the action by 24 hours.  In that time the opportunity was lost.  I felt suddenly out of my depth as far as my purpose in God’s plan was concerned.  Fortunately, God seems to have a ‘shoal of large fish’ for such occasions that get us back on course.

I love the story of Jesus walking on the water because everything that Peter feared was about to be over his head, was already under the Master’s feet!

One of these days, courage and opportunity will combine and I will get into a swimming pool again.  Fear must not deny me the enjoyment of swimming.  If fear is holding you back from pursuing something God has laid out before you, I hope you will trust the Lord and ‘dive in’.  Sometimes the pathway of discipleship takes us out of our depth.  If we find the courage to trust God at such a time we usually find the experience is nowhere as daunting as we feared it would be.

From the Diary

Praise God:  Following a successful webinar on 27th August we produced it as a video, which can be seen at https://youtu.be/IX0yZNXqrP8On the day I had a bit of a cough and lack of experience means there is a hiatus for a few seconds when I tried to launch a poll.  But we are getting better.  Super to work with Gordon Banks on this.  Lots of good ideas for the autumn.  Do take a look.

Praise God:  This Saturday (3rd September) I ran a forum as a follow up to the webinar.  This is a new development but adds value to the webinar for anyone who wants to discuss anything in depth.

Sunday 4th Sept. – I will be taking the service at Fleckney Baptist Church, Leics in the morning, then in the afternoon attending a welcoming service for a new Methodist Minister.  In the evening I will be speaking at Narborough Congregational Church, near Leicester.

Tuesday 6th Sept – after my regular work at the prison Doreen and I set off for Kent and Sussex.  Doreen will spend a few days with her sister in Rainham, while I travel on to Herstmonceux ready for an important Court hearing on Wednesday morning.  I am a trustee under a will for a good friend and colleague who died in 1979.  My co-trustee and I are seeking to change how we are managing this trust as it has become very difficult and one beneficiary is vulnerable.  Change is often resisted, but resisting our proposed change will impose great difficulties.  Please pray for a wise judge!

Sunday 11the Sept – Newark Congregational Church.

Please pray for Sue Newnham, her husband Tony and the rest of their family.  Sue has just been admitted to hospital with ovarian cancer diagnosed.  Both Tony and Sue are good friends of ours, and former colleagues in mission. They face a challenging time as Sue undergoes treatment.  The situation is still only at an early stage.  Anyone reading this who remembers Tony and Sue but has lost touch, please let me know and I will gladly connect you again.

Other former colleagues needing prayer:  Heather Stainer and Sylvia Lavender both now in care.  Please uphold them and Philip and Alfred (respective husbands) at this time.

Doreen (my wife) is making a good recovery from her cancer operation.  I have several other colleagues and friends battling serious illness.  I am trying to keep in touch and value your prayers as I try to offer encouragement to them.

The routine work of research, writing and training goes on.  A big thank you for your prayers and also for the practical support that keeps our ministry going.

May the Lord abundantly bless you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment