Friday 15 July 2016

It makes you smile

While I am cautious about the practise of applying for oneself verses of Scripture, given in one context or to a particular people, it did seem strangely apposite that on the day when I gave up the secular employment to work full time in a mission (for a fraction of my former salary) the text on my calendar was “You shall go out with joy and be led forth with peace” (Isaiah 55:12 AV).  I have to say, looking back over the years, that although there have been times of deep sorrow there has also been a lot of joy.

Some years ago, when interviewing someone for a senior position in a Christian context, we asked the candidate if he could tell us what he considered to be his weaknesses.  He paused, and then said, “I’m told that I could smile more often”.  His unexpected response was not inappropriate.  Sometimes I think that I should smile more often.  It is all too easy to become intensely serious about Christian ministry and mission, and obscure the joy.

You may have heard me say, or have read previously, one of my favourite stories about a Church Secretary who was supposed to meet a visiting preacher at a train station.  Unfortunately, he found himself repairing his car and not in a fit state to meet the guest.  He therefore gave his young son the name of the man and sent him off to the station to meet him.

On the way the boy forgot the name but reasoned that the person he would be meeting would be wearing a clerical collar and so easy to spot.  The appropriate train arrived and the boy scanned the passengers alighting but failed to see anyone wearing a clerical collar.  Undeterred, the boy reasoned that the visiting preacher would be carrying a black briefcase.  But there were several men carrying black briefcases.  He looked at them carefully and selected one who he thought looked possible.

“Excuse me sir,” he said, “Are you our visiting preacher?”  The man looked at him kindly and said, “No son, it’s indigestion makes me look like this”!

Of course, our lives are touched by times of sadness, but in the darkest of valleys there should still be a spring of joy bubbling somewhere.  The word, happiness, I am informed has a root word meaning chance.  Therefore, happiness is a state of mind affected by circumstances.  Whereas joy, for a Christian, comes from the deep assurance that God has hold of us no matter what happens, and only wants the best for us. Such assurance lifts us up out of the mire of despair.

Paul’s letter to the Philippians, written from prison, is notable for its general joyfulness.  Paul encourages them to rejoice.  He writes about being content whatever his circumstances.  His trust and hope in God is evident.  I wonder whether his mind went back to the first time he and Silas came to the city and were falsely accused and landed up in jail.  You will remember what happened when they started to sing hymns at midnight.

Dear reader, if your present circumstances weigh heavily at this time, please do not try to work up some joy.  That is impossible.  But please rest in the knowledge that God loves you more than you could possibly understand.  The very worst we could experience in this life is still only temporal.  The writer of the letter to the Hebrews tells us that even Jesus in his darkest moment, was able to endure the cross for the joy that was set before him.  Don’t lose your confidence in God and the joy that “comes in the morning”. May God grant you is peace and gentle joy.

A few years ago there was a report from many quarters that the moving of the Holy Spirit was making people laugh.  I was sceptical until, in a meeting and standing next to a young woman in physical pain, I was suddenly aware of her shoulders shaking as she was overwhelmed with joy and could not resist laughing.  Looking back, I can recall others who had encounters with God that caused irresistible mirth. Isn’t joy part of the fruit of the Spirit?

I wonder sometimes what people passing by think of us when we come out from a church service.  Does our demeanour communicate that knowing God and salvation is something to smile about?

Once when going to a church for the first time in the middle of a bitter winter I was shown into the choir vestry before the start of the service.  I had been sitting in a very cold minister’s vestry and on the way saw a small congregation clearly feeling cold in the sanctuary.  The choir vestry, by contrast, was warm and cosy, so I suggested that perhaps we should invite the congregation to join us.  Most of the choir laughed, until a sonorous voice intoned, “Can we remember where we are”!  That certainly set the tone for the service!

If you are a miserable sinner, please become a joyful saint.  It will do you good and probably bless others.  I pray that you will have a really joyful Sunday this weekend.

From the Diary
This Sunday evening (17th) will be my first time ministering at Welby Lane Mission, Melton Mowbray.

I took two school assemblies this past week.  One was my final visit to the school following my retirement from the pastorate at Yelvertoft.  I found that they had prepared a scrap book full of post-its on which children and staff had written such amazing things. Many said how much they enjoyed my assemblies but there were also references to things I had taught them which they had remembered, and a thanks for telling them more about Jesus.  Doreen said that she was moved to tears as she read what they had written.  Your prayers for my schoolwork contributed to this, so thank you.

On Tuesday morning this week (19th) I shall take part in a video meeting of the Churches Rural Group, before going on my regular visit to HMP Gartree.  Please keep praying for more men to join the choir.

On Thursday (21st) I will be back in Sussex to take the funeral of an elderly lady who was a member when I was minister at Herstmonceux Free Church.  Please pray for the family as I seek to share the Christian hope on this occasion.

Next Sunday (24th) I will be taking the Family Service for Goodwood Evangelical Church, Leicester, and as I write, I am praying for a musician as their excellent team will be away.

If you have been praying for Elizabeth Ingram and me as we seek to manage a difficult situation for which we are trustees, then thank you.  We had a useful meeting with a solicitor and barrister in Eastbourne this week.  Sometimes, doing the right think is not comfortable but responsibility should not be shirked.  Please keep praying for grace and wisdom.

Having stepped down from pastoral leadership at Yelvertoft I am not desperate to fill my diary every weekend.  Some bookings have come in and I hope to use this new situation to get back to some churches I have not been able to visit for some time.  Please feel free to contact me if you think I might be of service to you and your church.

Finally, I would like to send you back to Isaiah chapter 55.  It is rich with wonderful words.  Which one blesses you the most?

Thank you for your support and encouragement,

Barry
15th July 2016




No comments:

Post a Comment