Saturday 11 April 2015

The Importance of Praise

I wonder whether you have ever reflected on the importance of praise.  All Christians that  I know seem to feel that it is important to praise God.  But why?  Is it that God has feelings of insecurity and needs to be encouraged?  Of course not.  Could it be that God is an egoist, Is that how we should understand passages such as Isaiah 42: 8 where we read "...my glory I will not give to another, neither my praise to graven images"?  Again that does not seem right.  Incidentally there is a lack of biblical evidence of God asking to be praised, though there are vast numbers of reference to the importance and value of praising God.

Recently I felt moved to write to George Verwer, founder of the missionary movement,Operation Mobilisation.  I came under the influence of George's ministry when I was 17 and he was kind enough to write me a long letter with helpful advice after that encounter.  I just thought it would be right to let him know the influence he had on my life since that time and how much that had been multiplied as by God's grace I have served him these past 50 years.  In turn George gratefully and effusively give thanks for the ministry of Dr Billy Graham through whom he came to faith.

Today I received two unexpected, and certainly unsolicited, expressions of praise.  One came from a young man who spoke out openly in a meeting.  The other came in a Facebook message.  Both moved me deeply.  I am profoundly grateful as it makes me feel that my labour is not in vain in the Lord (I know the Bible tells me that but it's good to get it confirmed!)  I have written before on the practise of saying thank you to people who do the most mundane and unpleasant jobs.  I have seen faces light up and heard people say, "You're the first person who has ever thanked me".

Anyone who has undergone any management or leadership training should know how vital it is to praise those who are 'subordinate' to you in any way.  Within our families we may have experienced what happens when a parent praises a child or a child praises his or her parents.  To praise only to achieve better or committed good performance is disingenuous and unworthy,  On the other hand, isn't it sad that only one of the ten men who had leprosy returned to thank Jesus. (See Luke 17: 11-19)

But does God need to be praised.  Why doe the psalmists and others make such a big deal about it?  At a basic level, praise gives feedback of understanding and appreciation for some benefit.  If we realise how great God is and how amazing is his love for us and his saving work, his daily care and provision for us, and his answers to our prayers, then we will be unable to stop ourselves from praising him.  The strange thing is that when those moments of understanding dawn on me and praise bubbles up and finds release in words, the enjoyment of the blessing is immediately multiplied and the praise also increases.

Please understand this: if you do not frequently find yourself lost in praise and unable to hold back from speaking it out, then you are not normal!  For praising God is not important for God; it is immensely important for the recipients of his grace and goodness.  It also follows that if you do not appreciate being praised your are not normal.  We all like to feel that we are appreciated and that what we do for others is important.  So please do not withhold praise because you fear someone might become proud.  One of the best sermons I have ever preached was on humility!  The fund was speaking with people afterwards who had clearly appreciated the message but felt confused as to whether or not they should say so!

So bags of praise upwards to God, and bags of praise to others who deserve your encouragement.  And while we are at it, lets follow the examples of the disciples in the upper room when the Spirit fell on them and could not help speaking out his praise - the wonderful works of God.  Pray God it will have the same impact on others amazed at our Spirit-inspired praise who will then hear an explanation that will bring then to share both our faith and our joy.

Monica Cook
Monica has started her course of radiotherapy.  She informed she did not feel anxious when going for the fist session and side effects have so far not been too bad.

Rural Mission Webinar
I am running a free online seminar this Saturday 11th April 9.00 am to 9.45 at the latest.  We will be looking at why and how to develop sustainable bespoke rural mission strategies for village churches.  The challenge I am finding is how to say enough and maintain focus.  There is so much more I would love to share but this will provide material for further webinars.  If you want to take part please click on this link to register (you will be asked to give your name and email address) and you will then be sent by return the access information.  If you are reading this before the webinar ends please also pray for its effectiveness.

The Diary
We had a wonderful Easter Sunday Family Service.  Some mature Christians described it as the best they had experienced.  It was clear to me that God was in our midst.  We give him the glory.

My routine (!) visit to HMP Gartree on Tuesday was a useful time.  Numbers in the choir have fallen partly because of behavioural problems from newer members who have ADHD.  We are now managing this far better and pray that past members will return.

Doreen and I spent Tuesday afternoon to Friday afternoon at the Congregational Federation's Leadership Conference at Hothorpe Hall.  It was a real blessing.

On Sunday, together with two other trustees I will be attending the morning service atDunks Green Evangelical Church near Sevenoaks.  After lunch together we will be discussing constitutional issues with the members.  I will then travel on to Herstmonceux to share in their evening prayer meeting.

On Monday, with my fellow trustees we will continue the process of closing down the Action for Christ offices at Bodiam.  Already quite a lot of the office equipment has been sold.  We hope to sell more on the Monday and will be moving archived material to store at Dunks Green.

On Tuesday I have various other duties in East Sussex and the day will include a visit to Monica at Battle and some office work at her home.  I will be returning home on Wednesday.   On Wednesday I will take past in a Committee Meeting for the Rural Evangelism Network.

Please pray for Doreen while I am away, that she will be kept safe from falls.

On Thursday we are starting a new term of Bible Discussion Meetings at Yelvertoft.

On Friday I expect to travel to Worcestershire for a short mission consultation with an Anglican Benefice.

On Saturday morning it will be Get Messy (Messy Church) at Yelvertoft, and ministry there on Sunday.

Pray for safe travelling, wisdom in business activities, grace in all things and for Jesus to be glorified by deeds and words.

Thank you.

Yours, still praising!

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment