Sunday 19 April 2015

Thank God for Women

It would be all too easy to imagine that the apostle Paul did not have much time for women but nothing could be further from the truth.  Just as Jesus had significant women disciples a similar record in scripture exists for Paul.  In both his letter to the Christians in Rome and the Christians in Philippi he commends women who have worked alongside him in the gospel.  His many greetings and commendations in Romans 16 commences with a woman.  Several other feminine names can also be found afterwards.  I especially love verse 12 which mentions three women who worked hard for the Lord.  The Greek word used here implies working until their energies were spent.

Paul's praise of women came to mind during this week, firstly when clearing the contents of the Action for Christ office in East Sussex.  I gladly commend Elizabeth and Heather who did much of the hard work and carried on long after many would have collapsed.  Also this week I called upon Monica Cook, currently off work because of a brain tumour but still doing her best with limited resources to serve the Lord.  What she has achieved in her ministry among children in the UK and abroad leaves me amazed.  I could go on but I hope you have grasped the fact that I have probably more appreciation for the labours, faithfulness and spiritual depths of most Christian women than I do of many of my own gender, though there are good and bad in both.

It saddens me when I come across bad attitudes among Christian men towards women that limits their God-given potential.  I am also saddened by women who allow their potential to be limited.  It would be hard to find any aspect of ministry for which women are not able.  Jesus certainly never put women down.  When the church burst into courageous life on the Day of Pentecost Peter took as his mandate the prophecy of Joel 2: 28, 29 which is so wonderfully inclusive.  However, I hate bossy women who lord it over men just as much as I hate bossy men who lord it over women!

It has been my privilege to serve in ministry in four churches and in each I have thanked God for the women.  We are all members of one body having gifts given according to the will of God for the common good and the advancement of God's kingdom.  Like Paul, let's give honour to those to whom it is due.

Rural Mission Webinar
Fifteen people attended the online seminar last Saturday and I am greatly encouraged by comments received afterwards.  This is particularly encouraging as I failed to activate the view of the screen with the slides I had so carefully prepared in advance!  A good friend and colleague was to have monitored questions during the session but exhausted from attending a four day conference and the journey back home he fell asleep and was left in that state by a loving wife who did not know of his commitment early Saturday morning.  It was only at the end of the seminar that I managed to look at the questions only to see a long list of "Why can't I see the slides?"

We will run this particular Rural Mission Webinar in a few weeks’ time but we are also looking for topics that people would find helpful.  Please send me your suggestions.

Action for Christ Office Closure
The office at Bodiam, East Sussex has been closed as there are now no staff employed there and the work of the mission (formerly Mission for Christ) is being managed efficiently from home offices.  Rent and other office occupancy costs now saved will be channelled into actual rural evangelism  The office has closed but the mission goes on.  Almost all the equipment has gone to good homes to be used in God's service.

Monica Cook Health Report
It was good to visit Monica last Tuesday.  Despite some problems on Saturday 11th she is back on schedule with the radiotherapy.  Your continued prayers will be appreciated.  Full report can be seen at  this blog.

The Diary
It was a joy to meet with the Christians at Dunks Green Evangelical Free Church, near Sevenoaks, Kent last Sunday morning.  Action for Christ holds this building in trust and it is encouraging to discover new people joining. In the evening I met with women and men for prayer at my former church at Herstmonceux.

Monday, Tuesday, and part of Wednesday was spent in clearing the offices of AfC.  On Wednesday afternoon I shared in a video committee meeting for the Rural Evangelism Network which was well worthwhile.  I travelled back to Market Harborough arriving around 10.00pm.

On Thursday morning Doreen and I drove to Yelvertoft (Leics) for the regular Bible Discussion Meeting.  On Friday morning I drove to the far side of Worcestershire to meet with the mission group of a very rural and scattered Anglican benefice.  There is already good work being done in evangelism and I find it challenging to know jut how best to add value to this group of mostly scattered housing with 1200 residents.  I plan to provide some notes this coming week.

On Saturday we held "Get Messy" (Messy Church) at Yelvertoft with a small but eager bunch of children and two parents.

The week ahead
Sunday 19th - Yelvertoft
Monday 20th - Writing articles
Tuesday 21st - HMP Gartree
Thursday 23rd - Holiday at Home programme planning for Churches Together in Harborough in the morning.  Church Meeting at Yelvertoft in the evening.
Saturday 25th - attending a Child Friendly Church Coaching Day at Ashby de la Zouche, Leics.

Thank you for your prayers and also for the donations that enable us to keep serving.
Yours gladly in his service,     
   
Barry

Saturday 18th April

No comments:

Post a Comment