Friday 7 November 2014

Working as Colleagues

“So they signalled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them”
Luke 5:7
An alternative story
Peter scratched his head as he looked at the catch.  Two boats full would bring in a tidy amount of money.  Of course they would have to get the fish sold quickly while they were still fresh.  If he dropped the price just a little he would be able to corner the market.  He needed to get runners out to surrounding villages to let them know about the Great Fish Sale. He smiled as he thought, “With the money from this lot I will be able to buy that new boat I've had my eye on”.

“Hey, don’t I get a say in this?  We’re supposed to be partners!”  It was his brother Andrew who spoke.  Peter was embarrassed as he suddenly realised he had spoken his thoughts out loud.

Andrew continued, “I've had my eye on a new house in a better location and a catch large enough to fill two boats will go a long way towards its purchase.”

Suddenly, James interjected. “Far be it from me to spoil your dreams boys, but I’d just like to point out that you would have been in a mess if we hadn't come along to rescue you.  Your nets were already breaking.  If it wasn't for us you’d have lost the lot.  I say that we should go 60/40 in our favour. “

“But,” Peter spluttered, “It was me who let the Rabbi use the boat as a pulpit.  It was me that threw the nets overboard.  If there’s any sharing to do then I think I should at least have 80%”.

“Hold on”, said John, “Aren't we forgetting that 10% of the money from this fish actually should go to God; you know the teaching on tithing.”

They stood silent for a moment, the faces of his brother and their friends suddenly glum.  “Stop and think a moment.” John continued, “What is the real reason we go fishing?”

“To make money!” shouted Peter.  “Actually,” said another, “I do it because I just love boats.  It’s the best job in the world!”

“No!  You have it all wrong”, John insisted, “We go fishing so that people have something to eat.”

A silence fell on the group as they took in his words.  He was right.  Making a living out of fishing or enjoying the pleasure it brought were by-products.   After a long while Peter spoke again.

“You’re right, John.  And come to think about it, we wouldn't have a single fish if it hadn't been for Jesus.  When you think of what he was saying this morning about loving our neighbours and not being selfish…. I think I just got carried away with the excitement.”

Suddenly James spoke up again. “I can think of at least ten really poor families in my part of the village.  Then there’s that colony of lepers in Gadara.  This fish has been a gift to us from God.  Let’s share what we have with those who really need it.  If there’s anything left over when everyone’s needs have been met, perhaps we can have a little fish for our supper for a couple of days.  What do you say?”

Jesus looked at the smiling faces in the group, and smiled too.
It's all too easy to lose sight of what we are really about. The survival of our particular way of being church or the prominence of our own organisation can become dominant.  But it's not about us.    If God has blessed or is blessing our church or organisation it is for his purposes and not ours.  We don't know what happened to those two boatloads of fish.  We do know that the men had worked as colleagues to get the harvest of fish to the shore.  Here they received a new role in life - one that also demanded collegial attitudes if the harvest was to be gathered in.

FROM THE DIARY
Thanks for your prayers through the past week, especially for the trip to Sussex.  Despite appalling driving conditions I arrived at the hospital in Haywards Heath in time to make a pastoral visit to a friend who had suffered a stroke.  The following day I had a lot of phone calls and unscheduled meetings to work through.  Amazingly, I met with all but two of those I needed to contact before calling back to the hospital on my way home.  Hardly had I arrived when one of the people I had hoped to see also turned up.  A few moments later the second one appeared.  Don't you just love it when God is in control!

Sunday 9th I will be sharing in the Act of Remembrance in Yelvertoft and speaking at a United Service in the Parish Church  immediately afterwards.

Monday 10th - School Assembly at Lubenham, Leicestershire.

Tuesday 11th - HMP Gartree

Wednesday 12th - Meeting and discussions with colleagues at the Arthur Rank Centre.

Thursday 13th - a collegiate meeting with representatives from four other organisations involved in rural mission.

We have a Rural Mission Support Meeting this month.  Even as I write this I await final indications of when this will be held.  It is important to engage the maximum number of participants.
This week, after much prayerful consideration we purchased a facility that will enable us to run online seminars periodically on various topics of relevance to rural churches.  This specifically fits with our object to assist historic rural churches to become effective in mission in their locality.  We have offered to share this resource with others undertaking rural mission and hope that this will be another way in which we can work as colleagues.  Please pray as we begin to roil out this new aspect of ministry.  Look out for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment