Saturday 1 November 2014

Christian Symbols worn with pride

At first I was confused at first to find this Arabic symbol for the letter ‘N’ appearing on Facebook pages and tweets from Christian friends, churches and organisations.  You may already know the reason for this, but for the benefit of anyone still confused here’s an explanation.

 As the IS forces swept through Mosul they marked the property of Christians that intended to take over with the Arabic letter ‘N’ as the initial letter to the word ‘Nazari’ - to indicate a follower of Jesus.  This was intended to be a symbol of shame but the Iraqi Christians chose instead to use it as a badge of honour.  They then invited other Christians throughout the world who wished to stand with them in this time of persecution to use the symbol as a sign of solidarity.

As one aspect of my regular ministry takes me into a muti-faith chaplaincy I was keen to ask one of my Muslim colleagues whether this is offensive.  He quickly assured me that it was not.  Like many Muslims throughout the world he is ashamed of what is being done in their name by the IS.
So the symbol takes its place alongside other powerful Christian symbols, of which the cross is the most ubiquitous.  This too is a symbol of shame displayed as a badge of honour. What was intended to be an act of humiliation and defeat became a place of victory.

By contrast, the Ichthus symbol was is generally thought to have been a secret sign for early Christians under Roman persecution. The Greek word for fish spelled out forms the initial letters for the phrase “Jesus Christ, Son of God and Saviour”.  This early symbol became popular in the 1970’s and since. 

While symbols have their place the New Testament encourages us to seek to ensure that our lives speak volumes concerning our faith.  For example, in Colossians 3: 12-14 speaks of qualities of character that we should wear like clothes with love being the final outer garment—that which the world will see.

So while it might be good to define ourselves by a symbolic badge, it is vital that our lives symbolise our faith and the One at the centre of that faith.  One of my favourite hymns which challenges me every time I sing it is “Come down O love divine”, which I commend to you this week.  If you have a good hymn book available please look it up and make space to read and then prayerfully reflect as I have done once more today.

From The Diary
Last Sunday’s ministry at the Family Service at Goodwood Evangelical Church, Leicester was on the theme of “Friends of God”.  There is a PowerPoint presentation and some notes, and even a recording if anyone would be interested.  Give God praise for the many positive comments following this ministry.

The East Midlands Area of the Congregational Federation has started a review of its support for the mission of its 32 churches.  We have two Area Workers (one position currently vacant) and are keen that we have a clear sense of purpose underlying all they do, and indeed all that our churches do.  Please pray as I work with others on this Area Mission statement, and the actions that will follow.

My good friend and colleague, Capt Cordon Banks (CA) will appreciate your prayers as he winds up his work with the Diocese of Chichester and moves to the Diocese of Lichfield.  This is a costly move in many ways for Gordon and his family.  Please pray that God will go before them, providing a new home, a new job for Gordon’s wife, and lots of new friends and a fruitful ministry.  Gordon and I have run Rural Mission Consultations. And I hope to be able to continue to do so through 2015.

This Sunday I will be conducting the meeting at Yelvertoft and afterwards I anticipate travelling to Sussex for a 24 hour visit.  I am a co-trustee under a will of a property in East Sussex which has the elderly daughter of the legatee still in residence.  This weekend I have heard she has suffered a stroke and is in hospital at Haywards Heath.

I expect to be back for the weekly visit to HMP Gartree where the men are preparing for the annual Christmas Service and have chosen to sing Graham Kendrick’s great song “Thorns among the Straw”.  This has a powerful message and I am delighted at the men’s enthusiasm to sing this.
On Wednesday we have a further mission development meeting for the East Midlands Area.  On Thursday I shall be leading the Bible Discussion meeting in Yelvertoft in the morning and a Church Meeting in the evening where we have several significant things to discuss.

During the week I will be busy on administration including preparation for a Sunrise Ministries’ Trustees meeting and a local rural mission support meeting for south Leicestershire, north Northamptonshire and Rutland.

Next Sunday is Remembrance Sunday when I will be sharing in the Act of Remembrance in our village of Yelvertoft and afterwards preaching at a joint service in the Parish Church.

My Health
I am thankful for prayer and grateful for the many messages of concern.  It is now 8 weeks since my sciatica started to get worse, 7 weeks since it suddenly went completely incapacitating with immobilising extreme pain, six weeks since I asked for your prayers and five weeks six days since the pain dramatically stopped (following prayer).  I am off all pain-killers and free from sciatica pain.  God is good!

Focus for your prayers.  This week why not set aside time to pray for your neighbours in two houses on either side of your home.  Is there anything causing them concern at this time?  Do they share your joyful relationship with God?

Thank you for your partnership through prayer and practical support.

Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment