Saturday 3 May 2014

The main thing is...

One of the classic quotes regarding efficient management is "The main thing is that the main thing must remain the main thing".  I suspect, however, that all of us find it difficult to stick with the main thing occasionally.  Probably my favourite illustration in this regard is a company that was created some years ago when good quality clothes cost more money than most people had to spend.  This company's mission was to provide quality clothes at an affordable price.  Over the years they developed a significant reputation and if you had, for example, a jacket with their label in it you knew you had a quality garment that had been purchased for a reasonable price.

As time went by market trends changed.  The high street shops, to whom that company sold their clothes, started to disappear to be replaced by department stores and even supermarkets selling clothing.  As the business looked into the face of disaster an emergency board meeting was held at which a young director suggested that they should negotiate with one of these low cost outlets for an exclusive deal.  "After all", he claimed, "we are still able to produce high quality clothes at amazingly low price.  We just need an outlet."

The idea caught on and the board discussed what the implications might be.  A higher level of output would be needed but they had space to expand their premises and there would be no problem in taking on and training new staff.  It all looked positive until one of the older directors asked for one final think about what they were about to leap into.  What, he wanted to know, might be any other consequences?  The young director thought for a while then added, "I guess they will want their label in our products."

Suddenly there was an uproar.  They had built up their reputation over years.  Our label means something to people.  The older directors were horrified at the idea that a supermarket label might appear within their garments.  The proposal was overturned.  The company struggled on for a few more years but just before it died it was bought out by a supermarket that sacked the board, expanded the business and continued making quality clothes at an affordable price.

The lesson of this story is that the older directors had forgotten the main thing.  Their mission was not the perpetuation of a reputation but the provision of quality clothing at affordable prices.  Occasionally I find myself having gone into a room in my house but unable to remember why I went there.  Sometimes I go back from where I had come to see if it jogs my mind.  On other occasions I will just find something else useful to do and hope that the real reason will come back to me.  I fear that this is what most of our churches are doing.

The late Professor Donald McGavran, pioneer of church growth thinking, used to say that the reason most churches were not growing was because they were busy doing lots of things they should but at the expense of the thing they must.  All over the UK church members are pouring money and energy and spending irreplaceable time doing good things but at the cost of doing the one thing that Jesus asked his disciples to do.  And how is that working out in our personal lives?  How much time are we devoting to the main thing God wants of us?

This challenge took on special relevance for me this week as I sent off a form withdrawing from the MPhil research programme with Winchester University.  I have not stopped - nor do I intend stopping - the actual research work, exploring how evangelism is understood and practised within rural England.  My problem has been that by doing it as part of an MPhil it required such a high amount of time that it threatened my ability to engage in other aspects of ministry.  I had to ask myself "What has God called you to do?".  At this stage in my life the Masters Degree would have been nice but not necessary.  If pursuing that interfered with my ability to be available to minister to the needs of others then I would be wrong.

Fortunately, the journey so far with Winchester University is not wasted.  It has provided focus for carrying out the research.  I have undertaken and passed modules on research skills.  My university supervisor has offered continuing support at any time and has been very encouraging.  But taking the step of actually sending off  the withdrawal form sent me into an emotional roller coaster.  I struggled to be sure that the main thing was still going to be the main thing.  Letting go and giving up does not come easily to me.  But focus is vital for efficiency.

Jesus had something to say about this in Matthew 23:23-24.  Here he warns the Pharisees and teachers of the Law that their religious particularity was at the expense of core values of justice and mercy.  It was as if, concerned not to swallow something unpleasant they strained out gnats from their drink but swallowed a camel!  Jesus was not condemning their concern to honour God by the giving of tithes (though hey did take it to ridiculous extremes) but it was the fact that at the same time they missed the main thing.

So what might the parallels be for us today.  God calls us to a life lived "in the Spirit", that is to be like Jesus.  In the Gospels we see a contrast to the teaching of Jesus and that of the Pharisees and teachers of the Law.  They fussed over rules and regulations and nuanced interpretation of the Law.  Jesus majored on love, healing and forgiveness - for which he paid the ultimate price.  Even then, on the cross, he was still ministering to those around him and praying for forgiveness for those who harmed him.  I'm not just concerned about the hurt and harm done within and between churches by our devoted particularity with doctrine and obsession on stamping down on anyone who fails to perform to standards we have set them (though I am sure the heart of God aches at the trail of damage we leave behind us).  I am also concerned that those who have not yet discovered life in Jesus fail to see the power of love, healing and forgiveness.  The tragedy is that they often spot the camels we are swallowing while we can only spot the gnats.

In our personal lives, in our relationships in church, in our relationships between churches whose practises vary from ours, in our relations with those around us whom God loves so fantastically, is love the main thing for us?  It's time to stop and to ask ourselves whether the main thing is still the main thing.  if it is not then the main thing for us is to put it back.  For far too many of us we need to stop our obsession with gnats if it is leading to swallowing camels.

So, in asking for your prayers this week, I ask that you pray that in every sense I will know and then act upon those things that God would have me to prioritise.  I promise to pray that for you too.

Other matters for prayer from the diary
Sunday 4th May 10.45 Yelvertoft Congregational Church; 6.00 Harborough Congregational Church

Tuesday 6th May HMP Gartree in the afternoon and a 'Hope in our Villages' planning meeting in the evening.

Wednesday 7th I travel to East Sussex for various meetings and activities related to Action for Christ through Wednesday to Friday 9th lunch time.  Some of this time my colleagues and I will be dealing with difficult situations that require wisdom.

Friday evening I travel to Leeds, Yorkshire ready to work through Saturday 10th teaching on the Salvation Army Safeguarding Programme. Then back home, ready for Sunday ministry.

It will be a busy week so please pray that in the busy-ness there will remain quality time with God.  I also value your prayers for Doreen during my absences from home.

Thank you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment