Saturday 12 October 2013

"In Journeyings Oft"

Slight change in format this week.  I will share news and prayer requests first and then share a biblical reflection afterwards.

The Past Week
A major problem has been trying to cope with all electronic communications via my mobile phone.  This was cause by a change in telephone and broadband supplier.  The original promised date for both was 24th September.  This was revised to 30th September.  The phone was connected on that date but internet connection came on 11th October.  This was frustrating, time consuming and costly.  I am hoping to get adequate compensation from the ISP.  All is now working well.  Previously, I had suffered a problem with a rogue programme having hijacked aspects of my laptop computer.  This took several days to put right.

Last Sunday I continued the theme of exploring the Bible at Yelvertoft and focused on Joshua.  While preparing this I realised that the Book of Joshua and the Acts of the Apostles are both "what happened next" accounts.  Since Moses is a type of Christ it also seems that Joshua prefigures the apostles.  The more I looked at this the similarities seemed obvious.  Joshua was servant to Moses and learned from him.  He had to learn about conflict and the fact that the outcome of battle depended on prayer.  Exceptionally he was with Moses as he went up the mountain to commune with God and receive divine instructions for the faith and life of God's people.  The twelve also received instruction from their Master; some also accompanied their Master up a mountain for communion with the Father. Both had experiences of the Holy Spirit.  Joshua, like Peter got some things wrong.  Both Moses and Jesus concluded their ministries on a mountain and commissioned and set aside their followers to complete what had begun.

Monday and Tuesday were spent struggling with administration and preparing for ministry later in the week.  I also had my regular visit to HMP Gartree on Tuesday.  On Wednesday morning I travelled to Winchester University for a Supervision Meeting with Professor Messer, the head of department.  It was a useful meeting and good to get back on tracks.  From Winchester I travelled to Denmark Hill, London where I taught on the salvation Army's Safeguarding Course through the Thursday morning and afternoon.  On this occasion there were 21 delegates including some senior officers as well as Corps Officers and various youth, children and families workers.  This is always a demanding ministry but the group were excellent to work with and it was encouraging to get many good comments.

Friday was dedicated mostly to trying to catch up with jobs that had got behind because of the IT problems. Saturday morning I participated in in an Area Executive Meeting for the Congregational Federation, held in Leicester.  The remainder of the day being spent preparing for the Sunrise Ministries trustees meeting on Monday.

The coming week - key activities
Sunday (a ministry-free day).  In the evening travelling to Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire.
Monday - travel into London for Sunrise Ministries trustees meeting (This is the body that oversees all my activities other than my ministry at Yelvertoft and with the Congregational Federation).  During the afternoon I travel back to Hoddesdon and join other colleagues in the Churches Group for Evangelization with meetings running through to 12.00 on Tuesday.  At this time I start a journey to Herstmonceux, East Sussex for the funeral and thanksgiving service for Desmond Luck, an old friend and member of the church there.  I first met Desmond in 1964 when I was part of a team conducting a mission in the village.  I travel back home that evening.
Wednesday - I travel to Corby in the morning to meet with leaders of other national organisations doing mission or resourcing mission in rural areas.  I then rush to Yelvertoft where I will be singing and speaking at a senior citizens meeting.
Thursday - We hold the regular Bible Discussion Meeting in Yelvertoft.  Friday I plan to attend the Hope14  Launch Meeting in London.

As you will see this means two busy weeks back to back.  I need your prayers please.

Closing Thoughts. 
Each of the writers of the four gospels in the Bible record the "Great Commission" but in distinctly different ways.  I wonder whether you have ever given these differences any thought.  Mark records what we are told to do and where we are to do it: proclaim the good news to everyone in the world.  Matthew records why we are supposed to do this: to make more disciples of Jesus.  Luke (in Acts 1) reminds us how we should do this: we are to bear witness to Jesus through our own experience of knowing Christ.  We are also reminded of our need to be filled with the Holy Spirit to undertake this task. John also records the how: we are to do this in the same way that Jesus was sent: as a loving and sacrificial servant, offering our lives for the blessing of others.

To respond to that Commission, which is the duty of every Christian, we need to take on board each different aspect emphasised by the writers of the Gospels.  The who is now us.  The when is us now!

I pray that you will know God's abundant blessing on your coming week.  Thank you for your partnership.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment