Saturday 5 October 2013

Clouds and more clouds, but...

Dear friends,
It is almost certain that at some time in your life you will have referred to the fact that above the clouds the sun is still shining. We often say something like that to assure people that God’s love towards them is always there – even when all they can see are the clouds of difficulty and troubles.  One dark damp and miserable day I took off on a flight to somewhere and thought about this as we were passing through the storm clouds.  But instead of breaking through to sunshine we broke through to a space between two layers of clouds!  There were more clouds above!  Of course, eventually we rose above these into the blaze of sunshine.
This time last week I was relieved that my technical problems with my laptop were over and I was looking forward to life with a new Internet Service Provider (ISP) due to take place on Monday morning.  According to the information when I had signed up to the new ISP I should have received a new wifi broadband router during that past week.  As it had not arrived I phoned and after a 30 minute wait followed by a subsequent 10 minute wait I received an apology that something had gone wrong so the broadband would not be on until last Wednesday 30th (a week after the date I was first promised).  We had hit another layer of cloud!
The new phone line was working on Monday as promised.  The router arrived on Tuesday and I eagerly looked forwards to Wednesday. After midday on Wednesday there was no internet service so I phoned and had yet another 30 minute wait only to be told “something had gone wrong” and it should now be fixed BUT there would be no broadband service until after 10th October.  How many layers of cloud can there be?
In the bigger scale of things these frustrations are hardly worth mentioning, though at the time trying to handle all internet use with the aid of my mobile phone and limited internet access has been frustrating. Meanwhile two very relevant spiritual aspects have coincided with these frustrations.  The first of these was a request to participate in a short drama at the start of last Saturday’s Mission and Society meeting.  The theme was Peter recovering after his disastrous attempt to walk on water.  The message was problems and troubles will come your way but keep your eyes on the Lord and not on your problems.  I can kind of see the relevance of that now!
For the second spiritual element I turn to my dear niece’s blog at http://vickicottingham.blogsport.com this weekend.  Vicki who suffers from ME and endures significant chronic pain writes this weekend about fighting against the tendency to indulge in self-pity. It’s a brilliant blog so please take a look for me.  So now I am stopping whining about clouds.  But, seriously, you too may have been going through a rough time – and even one problem on top of another.  If that is the case then remember that clouds serve an important purpose and we could not do without them.  Try to look away from the clouds and spend a little quality time with the Lord.  Slip on your favourite Christian CD. Meditate on all that God has done for you.  Try to find God even if he seems to be engaging in hide and seek.  He is there and wants to hold you tight.
An elderly Methodist minister was famous for starting his services off with a prayer that always began “Lord I want to praise you for…” He used to walk to the various chapels, often down country lanes and found much to praise God for.  But on one occasion he had walked through a storm and arrived dripping wet.  As he stood in the pulpit, a puddle of rainwater forming around his feet, a member of the congregation murmured, “He’ll find nothing to praise God for today”.  The preacher raised his hands heavenward and uttered “Lord, I want to praise you that it doesn’t rain like this every day”.
I am so thankful that my dilemma with the internet has happened during a relatively less busy time.  I want to praise him that I have been able to stay in contact through the mobile phone.  I want to praise him that various people who have been expecting communications and files via the internet have been very understanding.  I especially want to praise God that there are no communication difficulties with him (other than those of our own making). I want to praise God for all he is and all he has done and is still doing for me.
We had a great service last Sunday in the prison.  One of the songs the prison choir has been practising for our next concert is “The Holy City”.  One of the members of the choir had offered to sing it as a solo in the service and I felt it was right to say yes.  After praying about it I felt that I should plan the service in the light of this song which is based on Revelation 21 where John sees the New Jerusalem descending from heaven.  I felt drawn to speak about visions and spoke on three interspersed with appropriate hymns and songs.  The first was Jacob’s vision in which he learned that God was in the place and had a plan for his life despite his bad character.  The second was Peter’s vision at Joppa where he learned that God’s love reaches to all humankind and not just the ‘special people’.  The third was John’s vision.  With the congregation joining songs of praise we read parts of Revelation chapters 5 and 7.  Then Michael, one of my prison friends read the opening verses of chapter 21 and this was followed without delay with that solo.  We concluded the service to tumultuous applause!  Some had clearly caught a vision of God’s great love and the gospel, and a home we can all look forward to, where there will be no more pain or sorrow.
This Week…
I value your prayers for the following:
·    Sunday 6th – 1030 at Yelvertoft Congregational Church.  In the afternoon Doreen and I will be attending our Area Autumn Assembly.
·        Tuesday 8th – HMP Gartree
·        Wednesday 9th – Winchester University Supervision meeting trying to get my research back on track.
·        Thursday 10th – Teaching on sexual abuse issues at the Salvation Army College in London to a mixed group drawn from within the SA.
·        Saturday 12th – 11.00 Congregational Federation Area Executive meeting in Leicester.
·        Sunday 13th  - Rest day.

Also please pray that the broadband will be connected this week.  There will be a lot of catching up to do at the end of the week.
Please pray for former colleagues, Alfred and Sylvia Lavender.  Sylvia is in Hospital and has been for many weeks.  Please pray as Alfred seeks to arrange a place where she can receive appropriate care.  It’s a tough time for them.
A few friends have gone on to glory over the past week.  Among them a dear man called Desmond who leaves behind Josie.  This couple are among those among whom I served way back in the sixties and later pastored from 1990 to 2005.  I will miss Desmond who has gone where there are no clouds!  Please pray for Josie.
As I sit typing this and wondering whether I will manage to get it sent out to you and published as a blog I find myself more aware of God’s blessing and a deep desire to shout a Hallelujah!  God is good (did I hear you say “All the time”?).
I pray that you will have a good week, and that you will overflow with praise to God – our faithful God.
Thank you for your fellowship.

Barry




No comments:

Post a Comment