Sunday 14 July 2013

The Power of Prayer

Last Sunday at Yelvertoft I found myself returning once more to the importance of prayer. We reflected on the privilege, the purpose, and the power of prayer.  Hopefully, these are all aspects with which you are familiar.  However, it will not hurt to reflect on them again here.  It is an immense privilege to be able to commune with the Almighty God, to know that he listens to what we have to say, and that he cares to listen to what we say.  In writing to the Philippians, Paul tells them not to become anxious about anything but, instead, to pray about everything. When Jesus responded to the disciples' request to be taught how to pray, he began with the words, "Our father..."  Take a moment to reflect on how amazing that statement is.  We are able to talk to the Creator of the universe as easily as a child brings its joys and worries to its father.  That is privilege.

When it comes to the purpose of prayer I have always been intrigued by the statement of John Wesley: "God does nothing but in answer to prayer". It's a bold an provocative statement and well worth pondering upon.  It is 'whoever calls upon the Lord' who is saved. Before I discovered for myself the wonder of God's saving grace, my parents, my Sunday School teachers, possibly a school teacher, and certainly the man who gave me a tract to read - all these prayed earnestly for me.  It is not that God cannot do anything without someone praying.  Prayer keeps us aware of our utter dependence upon God in every situation. James told the Christians of his day, "You have not because you ask not" (James 4:2).

My favourite Bible story that illustrates the power of prayer is found in Acts chapter 12.  Here we read about Peter's imprisonment.  How important is that "but" in verse 5.  An absolutely impossible situation became possible because the church turned to God in prayer.  I am not sure that they were praying for Peter's release, or just general deliverance in the face of hostile opposition.  But what God did in answer to prayer was clearly more than they had expected. Such is the power of prayer!

George Verwer, founder of Operation Mobilisation, was a great influence in my life after I had made a commitment of 100% of my life to God.  As OM took off in the UK his passionate sermons on spiritual warfare stirred our hearts.  I remember his story of a lone Japanese soldier still fiercely defending an island long after WW2 had ended.  The news of the cease fire had not reached him.  The trouble with so many of us is that we live as if the spiritual cease fire has been reached when the reality is that the battle is still on.  As Paul writes to the Christians at Ephesus, We do not battle against flesh and blood but against the powers of darkness.  Our unseen enemy has cunning strategies.  To stand against such an enemy we need all of the armour God has provided, and the courage to take our stand.

It is against this background that Paul makes an impassioned plea for prayer. "Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."   I also know my utter dependence upon God and the need to ask friends to pray.  Satan would delight if we thought that somehow there is no battle field in rural Britain. There is a front line here.  There is an enemy presence here.  If we do not feel it perhaps it is because we have settled for less than we ought, and failed in our ambassadorial responsibilities.

As always I find much to praise God for including...
  • Encouraging school assemblies at tow village schools during the past week.  I thank God for the interest and attention of the children and the great relationship with the staff.
  • Continued encouragement at HMP Gartree.  Last week we spent almost the entire practise time working on "The Holy City" which has a great gospel message. I am thankful that a change in prison routine has provided us with extra time each week!
  • Plans for the Holiday at Home outreach in August have progressed well and a good number of people have already booked to attend.
  • We had yet another exciting Bible discussion in the village looking at Isaiah chapters 2 to 5 last Thursday.  So much that Isaiah describes seems to resonate with our situation today.  But so does the warning.
  • On Friday I had the very real joy of meeting up with an old childhood friend and namesake.  We had not met for over 50 years.  What a joy to hear how Barry and his wife, Carol, had come to the Lord and been called into ministry, including prison chaplaincy.  I wonder if this is yet another illustration of effectual prayers of others.
Prayer Requests
  • This Sunday I will be at Yelvertoft as we seek to see the Lord do great things in the village.
  • On Monday 15th I will be meeting with Rebecca, our CF Area Children and Families Worker.  It is an opportunity to review progress together.
  • On Tuesday 16th I will be at HMP Gartree
  • On Wenesday 17th I will be meeting with my local support and accountability team.  I am grateful for their fellowship and ask you to prayer for them and for our trustees.
  • On Thursday 18th I will be meeting with Maureen, our CF Area Mission Development Worker, and joining her on a visit to one of the churches she is assisting.
  • On Sunday 21st Gordon Temple will be taking the meeting at Yelvertoft and I will be at Stamford Free Church.  This is one of a very few churches that support our ministry financially for which we are very grateful.  It is my first visit there for many years.
  • By the end of this week I have to ensure that the annual reports of Action for Christ and Mission for Christ are ready to be submitted.  Please keep these joint organisations in your prayers as we continue the rescue work.
If we pray and believe together for greater things from God, what might we have to share in a weeks time!
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer,
believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Mark 11:24

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment