Sunday 21 July 2013

If it looks wrong...

Regular readers will know that I try to begin these with something encouraging or inspiring.  This week I have a verse from 1 Thessalonians on my mind.  You will find it among a cluster of short exhortations towards the end of the chapter five.

"Steer clear of evil in any form."
J.B. Philips Version

This was a verse that was impressed upon me from an early stage when I became a disciple of Jesus. At that time the King James Version was most widely used by protestants and that translates it "Abstain from all appearances of evil".  I have been looking it up in various translations and it seems that different translators have dealt with the Greek eidous in either of two ways.  On one hand they have taken the "evil in any form" or "evil of any kind" approach (as does JB Philips).  On the other hand there  has been a slightly different interpretation, taking up the sense of the outward perception (as does KJV).  I want to come down on the side of the KJV on this occasion.  We could paraphrase this as "If it looks wrong or bad, keep well clear of it".

Have you seen any news clips of soldiers in Afghanistan walking or driving?  The slightest sign of something abnormal in or beside the road and they take evasive action.  It could be an IED!  Ignoring it could be fatal!

There's an old sermon illustration about a man who wanted to hire a new chauffeur.  There were three applicants so the man had planned a test route that included a narrow and precipitous mountain road.  The first to demonstrate his skill drove with amazing confidence just a few feet from the edge of the road. The second, having seen the skill of the first driver, drove with nerves of steel even close to the edge.  When the third driver had his opportunity he abandoned any thought of dare devil driving and kept as far from the edge as possible.  He got the job.

God calls us to holiness because it is good for us.  Our lives are also an unspoken witness to our relationship with God.  In a sense his reputation is on the line by the way we live out our lives.  For his sake we dare not take risks.  If it looks remotely evil in any way (without exclusion) steer clear.

In the past I have had to deal with situations where a Christian leader's conduct has appeared inappropriate. Sometimes the leader concerned was found to have definitely been acting inappropriately.  In other situations he was proved innocent.  It is all too easy for a reputation to be lost by a single moment of carelessness.  A farmer friend sometimes reminds me that a yard of hole undoes a mile of fence!

While I believe it is healthy to recognise that none of us - not even the most apparently saintly - is perfect, this is no reason to become casual about matters of holiness. How we act, what we say, and where we look are often noticed by the very unbelievers we would long to come to know the Lord.

So, if I may take a leaf out of Paul's book and mix my metaphors we had better watch where we are driving as we repair any holes in the fence.

Things causing thankfulness...
  • It was great to spend time with Rebecca and Maureen during the past week.  Both are employed part time by the Congregational Federation East Midlands Area and I am their line manager.  I also have a small team that together forms the support and accountability structure for them. Rebecca is responsible for children and family work and we talked strategy and expectations over coffee.  Maureen's responsibility is mission development and I joined her on a visit to a village church that has exciting potential but seems stuck and not making progress. Both workers are faced with more challenge than encouragement and I am grateful for their commitment.
  • On Wednesday I met with my own group responsible for my accountability and support.  I am thankful not just for the time they give but the advice as well.
  • Sunday 14th at Yelvertoft was interesting.  I was joined by Carl, a young man exploring his ministry.  Carl shared in leading the service but I planned a highly interactive session in which the congregation would discuss a Bible passage and then unpack their thoughts after discussing the passage in groups of two or three.  We read the account of David and Goliath and some real treasures were shared afterwards with thoughts on relevance for us today.  There were four people who had never been before and I nearly backed out of my plans.  I needn't have worried; they loved it!  So did I.
  • The East Midlands Area of CF has also a small team collecting information to maintain an up to date prayer diary.  I am expecting great things as we learn to pray more effectively.
  • Another request for a rural consultation day came in very recently.  This is an opportunity to deepen understanding of how rural churches can become more effective in mission.
  • During the week, plans moved forward with the university research programme into how evangelism is understood and practised in rural communities.
  • I welcomed the Church of England's decisions in Synod about caring for victims of abuse.  Part of this was about further promotion of "Responding Well", a report I helped to write.  It's available on line and although it was written for Anglicans it can be adapted for other denominations.  I still have copies of "Time for Action", which is the other great pastoral resource.  Please ensure that your church/minister has a copy and that it is read.
  • I am writing this on Sunday evening 21st.  This morning Doreen and I travelled to Stamford in Lincolnshire where I took their morning meeting.  It was a great joy to meet friends here that I haven't seen for such a long time.  I even discovered that one woman in the congregation sang in a wonderful choir in Hastings under the conductor, Edmund Niblett, my Junior School headmaster!  More than that she had known well the RE teacher in my secondary school who played a part in my faith journey!
Items for Prayer...
  • For the work of Rebecca and Maureen.  For wisdom and patience.  For the ability to inspire and envision.
  • For the trustees and management teams in Sunrise Ministries.
  • For the work of Action for Christ. We are thankful for prayer and financial support as we seek to continue this ministry.
  • For 'J', whose activities and failures have devastated the work of Mission for Christ/Action for Christ.  Our God redeems.  He needs it as well as the organisations.  Pray for fellow trustees and new trustees coming on board.
  • Please pray that our material needs will be met.  God has al;ways been good to us but some of our regular supporters grow old and are called home.  Please pray that churches will adopt our mission work and share their giving with us.
  • Key activities this week include HMP Gartree on Tuesday, The Bible Discussion meeting on Thursday and Yelvertoft next Sunday.
  • From 29th July to 2nd August I will be sharing in the International Congregational Fellowship Quadrennial family Conference in Brunel University.  There will be all kinds of ministry.  I will be leading a session on tailoring mission strategies to fit churches. I also have two official functions within ICF and am hoping to pass these on to younger people.
  • All kinds of ministry needs the breath of God within it.  Please pray that I and all my colleagues and associates will be constantly refilled with the Holy Spirit.
  • Pray for more opportunities to inspire, envision and enable inherited rural churches to engage in sustainable and effective tailored programmes of evangelism and mission.
I cannot thank you enough for your interest in our labours for the Master.  Your prayers and gifts are so encouraging. Thank you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment