Sunday 13 January 2013

God speaking through scripture

During the week I had a delightful surprise when I received an email from a friend commenting on  last week's piece on revival.  I discovered that she too had a link with the late George Down from Winkleigh.  During her school days (40 years ago) she developed a friendship with another Christian girl and discovered that both of them had an uncle called George Down who lived in Winkleigh - though they were two separate people with the same name.  Small world!  The George I wrote about later moved to the east coast and was, I believed, involved in a mission to seamen, or something similar.

Others also responded to last week's newsletter.  I find it very encouraging to hear from people who regularly read the information I send out and it is great to know how God moves folk to pray.

This morning I was due to speak at the local Torch Fellowship Group.  These monthly gatherings that exist all over the country provide an opportunity for blind and partially sighted Christians to meet together with others in similar situations.  It was just as well I phoned the leader in advance as I discovered that he had someone else booked to speak.  I went along, as I often do, and enjoyed the meeting and the talk.  But I was left wondering why I felt I had a particular message on my heart for the occasion.  I have had occasions when I have been due to speak but had no conviction as to what I was to say.  However, I cannot remember the last time I had a message but was unsure where it was to be given!

I shared this on Facebook where I also gave a very brief summary, and had two people comment  that it was helpful to them.  The substance of the talk was that God has plans for each of our lives but that often God's guidance takes us through situations where things go wrong.  The biblical basis was Romans 8:28 and Esther 4:14b.  Maybe it's for you.

Our Bible Discussion group on Thursday tackled 1Corinthians 14.  This was a challenge for some who have not experienced gifts of the Holy Spirit and for whom speaking in tongues is a strange, possibly disturbing, concept.  The whole of 1Corinthians deals with various aspects of church life that needed adjusting. Chapter 12 introduces the gifts of the Holy Spirit but the heart of its message is our interdependence within the body of Christ.  No one is superior or inferior to another.  We are all of equal value.  This is all about attitudes towards one another, and leads us into chapter 13, that great passage about agape love.  The Paul picks up the theme of the gifts of the Spirit again in chapter 14.

But the three chapters need to be understood together.  Chapter 14 addresses the use of the three oral gifts of the Holy Spirit and how they should be used within corporate worship.  Paul clearly wants to encourage the use of these gifts but in a way that benefits the congregation and is done decently and in order. We need to reflect back into the opening verses of chapter 13 and remember the need for love for others when we exercise any ministry. (Note to self!)

That leads me back to considering whether the message I thought for Saturday morning is really for Sunday morning at Yelvertoft.  I have been praying but think I need to sleep on that.

The Churches Rural Group meeting on Wednesday was helpful (I hope mutually) but the absence of several of the group was disappointing as it devalues the purpose for which we gather.  Part of our business was exploring the issue of leadership skill development.  We have also been invited to share concerns in a wider rural context.  This was the first occasion on which the new Director of the Arthur Rank Centre, Jerry Marshall, was able to meet with us.

So to this week's diary.  I am still working through essential administration but this needs to be completed within the first half of the week.

On this Sunday and next I will be leading the morning meeting at Yelvertoft.

On Tuesday I will be back into Gartree Prison for the first Tuesday since before Christmas.  This has been an unsettling time for some of the men and I value your prayers for them.

On Wednesday I will be working with Brian Kennard and others with the winter one-day Holiday at Home outreach.

On Thursday we have a funeral and thanksgiving service for Jim, one of our folk from Yelvertoft.  I have spent time with his family and pray that what is spoken on Thursday will carry the sense of God's word and touch at this time.  Hopefully the new kitchen will have been installed by now.  This is a wonderful gift to the church.  Last week, as we had no kitchen at the church we had a wonderful shared lunch in the home of two of our members.  What a wonderful occasion that was.  Fellowship in rural churches has a potential that cannot be matched by larger urban churches.

I also have several important meetings coming up and have to prepare for these.

Have you ever noticed that little phrase in Nehemiah 2:4?  Here we read of what some people call 'arrow prayers'.  There were only seconds in which to pray how to answer the king.  Nehemiah was a real man of prayer, as the whole book reveals.  But he knew how to pray a quick but vital prayer to God.  As we go about our normal activities this week (as indeed Nehemiah was doing) I hope that from time to time we will remember to call on the Lord. It proved very significant for Nehemiah and the fulfilling of God's purposes.  May it prove so with you and me this week.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment