Saturday 26 January 2013

A fork in her hand!

Here in the East Midlands of England we have had snow but not as bad as some other parts of the country.  The first heavy snowfall started in the East Midlands but we were on the southern edge.  However, as temperatures stayed low the snow has stayed around, periodically added to.  However, we were able to get into the village last Sunday and again on Thursday for a Bible Discussion Group.  This week we explored 1 Corinthians chapter 15 where Paul addresses the hope of the resurrection and life after life.  Paul starts by emphasising that the resurrection of Jesus, witnessed by many, was at the heart of the gospel he had preached and they had received.

His first argument is that if Christ rose from the dead then we can be sure of resurrection.  If there is no such thing as resurrection then that would mean Christ had not risen from the dead and we have an empty gospel.  "But now is Christ risen from the dead".  Later her addresses the nature of resurrection and draws on two illustrations.  The first of these is living plants.  What grows from the ground differs absolutely from what was planted as a seed.  The second is the spiritual  character of Christ, compared to the earthly character of Adam.  So what will rise up to spend eternity with God will differ from what is laid in the grave or cremated.  It will be like Christ.

While I enjoy many contemporary worship songs and prefer to use contemporary language, I love the theological and spiritual depth of many more traditional hymns.  The words of 1 Corinthians 15 are clearly the inspiration behind the Cardinal John Newman's wonderful hymn, Praise to the Holiest in the Height.  take a few moments to dwell on these words.

Praise to the Holiest in the height,
And in the depth be praise;
In all His words most wonderful,
Most sure in all His ways.

O loving wisdom of our God!
When all was sin and shame,
A second Adam to the fight
And to the rescue came.

O wisest love! that flesh and blood,
Which did in Adam fail,
Should strive afresh against the foe,
Should strive and should prevail.

And that a higher gift than grace
Should flesh and blood refine,
God’s Presence and His very Self,
And Essence all divine.

O generous love! that He, who smote,
In Man for man the foe,
The double agony in Man
For man should undergo.

And in the garden secretly,
And on the Cross on high,
Should teach His brethren, and inspire
To suffer and to die.

Praise to the Holiest in the height,
And in the depth be praise;
In all His words most wonderful,
Most sure in all His ways.

It is recorded that when William Gladstone, a great Prime Minister of the UK, laid dying he often went over these wonderful words, relishing the truth that inspired them.  This then reminded me about the funeral service of a woman who lay in an open casket (coffin) with a cutlery fork in her hand.  As people filed past to bid their last farewell they were perplexed to see the fork.

In his message the pastor of the church explained that this was a special request the woman had made.  She had told him,  "In all my years of attending church socials and pot-luck dinners, I always remember that when the dishes of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, 'keep your fork.' It was my favourite part because I  knew that something better was coming..like velvety chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie. Something wonderful, and with substance! So, I just want people to see me there in that casket with a fork in my hand and I want them to wonder 'What's with the fork?' Then I want you to tell them: 'Keep Your Fork..The best is yet to come'".

What a wonderful hope we have!  It's a sure and certain hope!

During the morning meeting last Sunday my mobile phone rang. I thought I had switched it off.  When I saw the number I realised it might be important and asked the congregation if I could take the call.  It was to tell me that Joe had died that morning.  Joe is a farmer who lived next to our Chapel.  He has been ill for some time and I have visited him several times both at home and in hospital.  I'm glad his long battle is over, and delight in the memories of our chats and times of prayer.  Once, in hospital, he asked me to sing "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?".  As I raised my voice (unfortunately in the wrong key) there and then, Joe joined in the song.  "Were you there when he rose up from the grave?  Sometimes it causes me to tremble!"  Thanks be to God who gives us the victory!

This week
Sunday 27th  - 10.45 Yelvertoft Congregational Church.  In the afternoon I set off fro Brecon, Wales.

Monday 28th - "Mission to the Margins", a one day rural mission conference for the Baptist Union of Wales.  the most important item for prayer is that those who attend go away and build on what they have learnt.  I travel back home to the East Midlands that evening.

Tuesday 29th - 10.30 School Assembly, Yelvertoft.  I took the school assembly in Lubenham last Friday and really felt God was at work as we explored with the children the generosity of God.  Their interaction and attention was wonderful.

In the afternoon I expect to be in HMP Gartree.  Please pray for the chaplaincy team there and for all who seek to minister something of the love and word of God in our prisons.

SPECIAL WEEKEND ACTIVITIES
On Friday 1st Doreen, who has proved such a wonderful wife and partner in mission, celebrates her 80th birthday.  Normally birthdays pass without much note.  But on this occasion I have three days of surprises.  

On Saturday 2nd I have arranged a surprise lunchtime party also in Market Harborough and have invited anyone who wishes to do so to join us.  If you wish to have details of when and where this is being held please email me at barry@ruralmissions.org.uk.

All this is being kept secret so please don't let her know about these arrangements.  

Thank you for your support and prayers.
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment