Sunday 16 September 2012

"My help comes from the Lord"

Hello,

I'd like to start by thanking all those who sent words of encouragement and assurances of prayer related to the gastroscopy I underwent last Monday.  It's actually a fairly routine procedure with only slight risks, though somewhat unpleasant.  Some of the members at our meeting on Sunday persuaded me to accept a sedative and one of the older members (forgive me Priscilla) undertook the 40 mile round trip to pick me up for the 30 mile round trip to the hospital on the understanding that the procedure would be undertaken under a sedative.  Both the sedative and Priscilla's kindness certainly made it far less onerous.  As far as I am aware nothing alarming was discovered and the Barrett's Oesophagus seems to be being managed satisfactorily.

Tuesday morning I took a school assembly at Yelvertoft (Northants) and combined the trip with taking some photos of the amphitheatre where the recent open air funeral service was held.  A magazine picked up on the story and asked me to write it up.  It reminded me of an article I once wrote that was then copied with permission into a Christian newspaper, and then found its way into a Christian best selling paperback as an 'anonymous' story!  While taking the photos a lady walking her dog stopped and discussed the service with me.  It seems to have touched many hearts.

In the afternoon I went to prison for the regular choir practice - only it wasn't.  As the Christian Prison Fellowship were occupying the chapel area we were moved into a relatively small room on one of the prison wings.  I'm not sure whether it was the different environment but there was such a sense of fun among the men it made me laugh for a long time afterwards.  Serving a life sentence and being aware of the serious crime that warranted that sentence is often hard to bear.  That brief interlude on a Tuesday afternoon means a lot to these men and I believe it is of significance.  Keep praying.

That evening Doreen and I drove to Stamford to pick up a cousin on holiday from Australia and touring the UK visiting various relatives.  Laurence was with us for three days, which gave me a good reason for taking some time out.

On Friday I took him to other relatives in Doncaster as I made my own way towards Hebden Bridge.  The journey failed to start properly as the hazard lights on the car came on and would not go off.  The garage from which the car had been purchased could not fix it or obtain a part so I had to hire a car for the journey.  Apparently my car has to go for a factory reset!  The late departure then put us into heavy Friday evening traffic and we arrived around four hours late!

Before I left I made a call to my university supervisor.  It was not an easy conversation.  The extra work that I have felt I have had to undertake to help Action for Christ out of difficulties has taken up a lot of time since mid June, and it is the MPhil that has suffered.  It looks as if I might have to formally interrupt my studies for a few months rather than struggle to find dedicated time for the studies.  Making the call made me feel extremely sad as doing this programme is very important for rural evangelism.  However, I can see no alternative to answering the call to help AfC through this particularly difficult time.  It's a 'what would Jesus do?' situation.

The trip to Hebden Bridge was equally sad and difficult.  AfC and the trustees of the Slack Top charity had ventured into a project that had excited both.  It now appears that both had not been given an entirely accurate picture of all that this would involve and it is with great regret that the AfC trustees now find themselves unable to provide further funding to complete the venture.  While AfC have ensured that the building has been rfe-roofed and is now water tight there remains an enormous amount of work to be undertaken internally in the building.  I could have wept as I was given a tour of the premises.  The practical disaster is compounded by some serious emotional pain and I ask you to pray for all concerned.  As we talked and prayed together on Saturday the opening part of Psalm 121 came to mind: "... where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lordthe Maker of heaven and earth."  In situations like this, he is our only hope.  I may be able to share more about this situation at a later date.

So tired and frustrated I made my way the 145 miles home on Saturday evening.

This week's Diary
Sunday 16th Yelvertoft Congregational Church, Northamptonshire
Monday 17th Rural Round Table for Fresh Expression, London
Tuesday 18th HMP Gartree
Wednesday 19th Country Way Editorial Meeting, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
Thursday 20th Bible Discussion Group and Pastoral ministry, Yelvertoft
Saturday 22nd Mission and Society Committee,  Congregational Federation, Nottingham
Sunday 29th Sunday at HMP Gartree

What matters isn't so much what we do but how we do it.  Please join me in praying that God's grace will be seen throughout this week, and that each day will be spent for his honour and glory.

Thanks,

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment