Saturday 25 August 2012

Rural Hospitality

Whenever I work with a church to review its missional life I ask the members to tell me about their church.  In every situation to date their response has included "We are very welcoming" or some similar comment.  However, in my experience there is a large gap between the quality of hospitality offered at home and that offered at most churches.  This is an area that every church needs to keep under constant review and I plan to use this week's blog to address the issue.

Get it right and small rural churches come alive.  It is something our small rural churches can do well but which large urban churches can never achieve.  Get it wrong and your church might as well get its will written now!  Long after our visitors have forgotten what hymns were sung and what the sermon was about, they will be able to recall how they felt, and especially how we made them feel.

One way in which I try to help churches think this through is to describe to me what would happen if I was an old friend who visited unexpectedly while passing their door.  The added complication is that they already have a visitor with whom they were chatting over a cup of coffee or tea.  Typically these are the actions that follow:

  • I would be greeted with warmth and joy
  • Having been welcomed in my host would offer to take my coat and would show me where it was hung
  • I would be informed as to what was already taking place
  • I would be asked if I needed the toilet/bathroom
  • I would be asked if I wanted a cup of coffee/tea
  • I would be led into the room where the other guest was and properly introduced
  • I would be invited to sit where I would be comfortable
  • For a while I would be the focus for conversation - what was I up to?  How is it I was in the area?
  • Then I would be integrated into previous conversation (providing it was not confidential)
  • On departure I would be asked if I needed the toilet/bathroom, given my coat, and assured I was always welcome.
We then explore the quality of hospitality given to visitors to the church and identify the gaps.  You can make your own comparisons.  Have you ever noticed how much of the story of Jesus is about his response to the intrusions of other people.  We need to do hospitality the Jesus way.

One church I visited amazed me when I used their toilet.  By the wash basin was a small wicker basket in which a number of small soft cloth hand towels (they may have been face towel) were rolled up.  A bin was provided for the used towels, which were obviously then laundered.  How much better was that than paper towels or warm air dryers!  It had a feeling of quality that made me feel that this was a church that was thoughtful and cared about the comfort of its members and guests.  Obviously there are some situations where paper towels are the obvious solution, but do you use them in your bathroom at home?  No?  Why not?

And while writing about bathrooms I ought to comment about the quality of toilet paper.  Far too many churches purchase cheap toilet rolls of an inferior size and quality compared to that which they use at home.  How about doing an audit about the visual, and emotional impact your church has on first time visitors.  Remember, it is this that often speaks louder and longer than any sermon they might hear, so let's make it part of the good news.

A matter of praise
The funeral service for Chris, the man who died tragically in our village was an amazing experience.  It was my first open-air funeral (in over 40 years) and the involvement of accordion and silver band music (reflecting Chris involvement in morris dancing and brass bands) made it very special.  The actual setting of the amphitheatre overlooking a lake Chris had helped to design and stock added to the experience.  Click here to read more.  Give thanks for the good attendance, for the opportunity to share something of the gospel while giving thanks for Chris' life.  Pray that the Holy Spirit will apply the gospel words to the hearts of those who came.

A focus for prayer
Following a marriage blessing service I will conduct on Monday, Doreen and I will be off to Kent and Sussex until Friday.  While some of this time enables a few days break, with visit to family and friends in the area, the work focus is moving the Action for Christ offices from Peasmarsh to Bodiam (both in East Sussex).  Organising the move has been largely my responsibility.  I am thankful for the small team of volunteers and the preparatory work done by office staff.  Pray that all will go well as the practical work takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday, and that the office staff will settle in to their new home.

Finally thanks for your prayers, encouragement and practical support of our ministry.  Do let me know your thoughts on how the quality of our hospitality supports or detracts from the message of generous love we have to share with others.

This week's text is “Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.” Psalm 119:165.

May the Lord abundantly bless you.

Barry




No comments:

Post a Comment