Saturday 25 February 2012

Trying to follow God's guidance

I would like to start by thanking all those who contacted me after reading last week's news.  In addition to phone calls and emails I also had a visit from a friend who came to pray with me and I am aware of one church that included prayer for me in their Sunday morning service.  I am grateful, and would ask that you continue to make what I shared last week a matter of prayer.

Early in the week I received a phone call from a man I had not heard of previously.  He told me that he was an evangelist and had felt that God was calling him to move to Market Harborough, though he wasn't sure why.  I wondered whether God had already answered prayer!  He was oblivious to what I had written last week.  We met up on Friday in Market Harborough where he was also meeting a mutual friend from Kent.  While he doesn't match the profile I had described it would be interesting to see what God might be unfolding.  Renny is 62 and is an interesting character.  It would be helpful if you would pray for wisdom and guidance regarding this contact please.

This Sunday I am not at Yelvertoft as I had indicated in the last letter.  I received an email stating that friends at Goodwood Evangelical Church, Leicester were looking forward to my visit to take a Family Service for them this Sunday!  I was able to trace the initial enquiry but not my confirmation of that engagement.  However, the fault must be mine and I am now looking forward to my ministry there tomorrow.  The challenge then was to ensure that Yelvertoft was appropriately covered.  Surprisingly, the husband of a friend of one of the members visiting this weekend happens to be a Baptist minister.  Problem solved.  Please pray for him and for me in the two respective meetings.

On Wednesday I travelled to London for a meeting of the Churches Group for Evangelization, meeting up with a number of key UK Christian leaders.  This is a valuable coordinating group and I attend to represent the Congregational Federation and the Rural Evangelism Network.  Among the discussion it was encouraging to learn of the large number of Fresh Expressions of Church within the Church of England.  As we each shared news from our various constituencies it was a blessing to see how God is at work.

Women's World Day of Prayer takes place this coming Friday.  I have been invited to speak at a meeting in the village of Crick, Northamptonshire.  I spoke there on a previous occasion and the Lord blessed that ministry.  I value your prayers for this event, and for Jean who will be leading it.

Next Sunday (4h March) I expect to be at Yelvertoft!

In closing I would like to ask your prayers for my work at Gartree Prison, and for all those who are part of the Chaplaincy team there.  Some time ago I asked for prayer for 'C' who I had  found particularly difficult.  The transformation has been amazing and he is now a great asset to the choir.  We have several new members of the choir and as they settle in there is inevitably some less than helpful interaction.  It is not serious but I would value your prayers especially as last Tuesday and this coming Tuesday we have to work on a couple of difficult songs.  The practice includes singing Christian music and we have 30 minutes after practice when we chat over coffee.  These can be very precious conversations.  I feel that this is a privilege.

On those occasions and in many other situations there are matters that are too confidential to share.  Your prayers - on a daily basis if possible - are very much appreciated.
  • For the Lord to raise up the much needed help for various aspects of our ministry
  • For the weekend ministry at Yelvertoft and at Goodwood Evangelical Church
  • For the preparation of a number of important rural consultations around the country, for wisdom in planning and preparing for these
  • For my work at Gartree (please pray for all Christian chaplains and volunteers)
  • For the Women's World Day of Prayer meeting on Friday
  • For God's provision for the financial needs of the ministry
  • For guidance and wisdom regarding the conversations with Renny
As always please pray that I will walk closely with the Lord and be sensitive to the Holy Spirit in all that I do.

Thank you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment