Saturday 18 February 2012

"Like a son with his father..."

Dear friends,

This week I want to ask for your prayers on a specific subject that affects me deeply.  The title of this post comes from Philippians chapter two verse twenty two, and refers to Timothy.  Paul is writing from prison but longs to visit the church at Philippi.  While he cannot get to them he hopes to send Timothy and tells them why.  He says that Timothy has the same soul as himself - that's the meaning behind being 'like-minded' (KJV).  The NIV is weak in translating it "No one like him".  Timothy cared every but as much as Paul and yearned to bless them.  His interest in the church is genuine (the Greek employs a term that expresses absolute integrity).  He is not self-interested but acts in the interests of Jesus Christ.  He has been "proved".  This implies some serious testing has taken place.  He has a servant heart.  And how and where has he learned all this?  From working with Paul.

It was common in these days for a son to become as it were apprenticed to their father who would teach and demonstrate the knowledge, art and skills of his trade.  Thus they would be imparted.  How well this had happened in the life of the young man from Lystra who learned the gospel on the knees of his mother and grandmother.

My friends, my heart is heavy.  I am 66 years old and though still active I know the time ahead will be shorter than the time it has already been my privilege to serve the Lord.  I long to have a Timothy, or Joshua, or Elisha.  There is more work to be done than I will ever accomplish so what qualities am I looking for?
  • A deep love of God and especially for that great sacrifice that tore at the heart of God for us and our salvation;
  • A hunger to draw truth from God's word;
  • A passion for the salvation of others;
  • A heart that seeks not self gratification but always seeks God's will and to be a blessing to others;
  • A recognition of  utter dependence upon God;
  • A willingness to look to glory for the ultimate reward rather than fame or fortune here and now;
  • An 'Oliver' soul that cries out for MORE of God.
Who will care for the work at Yelvertoft when my time comes to let this go?  Who will genuinely care for the flock and lead them in the way of God's will for them?

Who will do the teaching of the mission paradigm to develop missionary congregations where all the gifts God has placed within the local church work together on a common discerned agenda with tailored mission strategies (i.e. Rural Mission Solutions)?

Who will promote cooperation and the welfare of others engaged in rural mission and evangelism through the Rural Evangelism Network?

Who within the Congregational Federation will take on the work of representing within ecumenical dialogue this sweet expression of church that emerges from the pages of scripture and expresses kingdom values?

Please pray with me - not just this week but in the weeks ahead.  I am not indispensable.  God could lay me aside at any time he chooses.  I have not sought to establish any kind of ministry that must continue into the distant future.  But my hands are full and I feel the need to find people who will work alongside me in these particular four roles.  Elisha cried "Where is the God of Elijah?" (2Kings 2:14).  My hearty cries, "Where is the Elisha of my God?"  Please pray with me.

Other Prayer Issues
I have some important study in connection with my research that must be completed this week.

I have some important work to complete for colleagues in Germany this week.

I have to find time to write letters to those who have kindly given for the work of Rural Mission Solutions, and write some other articles, and do the banking, and .... Administration tends to get out off too often but must be done.

Pray for blessing to rest on those touched by ministry over recent weeks - especially for GW who gave her young heart to the Lord recently.

This Sunday and next I am at Yelvertoft.  On Monday I have a school assembly and a telephone conference.  On Tuesday I will be in Gartree Prison once again.  On Thursday I have a telephone supervision meeting from Winchester University and need to show progress being made!

And how are you?  What has God been saying to you?  Is your journey proving difficult?  Can I rejoice with you or pray for you?  Please let me know.

Please do not underestimate the value of your prayers on our behalf, The earnest prayers of a righteous person avails much.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment