Saturday 26 November 2011

Catching Up?

I used to find it amusing to watch a young cat trying to catch its tale while running round in circles.  Sometimes it would manage to get hold but then it would slip out between the paws and the cat would have to start all over again.  I was thinking that I have had a productive week and managed to catch up with quite a lot of tasks, but I'm still not quite there and spinning around!

It felt good to get those forms completed and sent off to University.  They had to include my research proposal properly set out with supporting bibliography.  These now have to pass two sets of scrutineers before I can advance.  I'd ask you to pray about this but it sounds rather like the student who left an examination room praying that God would make Tokyo the capital of China!

The new office layout is proving a great help and I am noticeably more efficient.  I spent some time this morning adding material to one of the websites.  This included 'Get in the Picture', which is a great idea for Christmas outreach.  If you haven't heard about this please visit www.ruralevangelism.net and click on knowledge exchange, then go to 'miscellaneous ideas'.  While you are on the website please take a further look around the sections within the Knowledge Exchange.


I have taken delivery of 15 copies of Time for Action (the book I helped to write about pastoral care for those who have been sexually abused) but we still need to get a re-print done.  It looks like I have found a good contact if I can get hold of the digital file of the book.  I am talking with CTBI about this.  I also received a fresh supply of Rural Evangelism in the 21st Century as these have been selling well recently.

Letters are going out to possible new trustees for Sunrise Ministries.  We need at least three new trustees so please pray that those receiving the letters will be guided aright.

Following the email sent out earlier this week about reading the blog I received more responses than I expected stating they do look up the blog regularly.  A couple of others responded to come off the list (reluctantly).  Most will now be receiving this as an email attachment, but remember that you can look back over the Praise and Prayer News by going to the blog at ruralmission.blogspot.com

During the week I had one initial consultation for a rural URC church.  It has beautifully reordered premises with good facilities, but lacks car parking.  With only a part-time (half a day a week) minister who does not live in the village and an elderly congregation they have a challenge.  But I was able to make several useful suggestions and will try to follow up on these.

The school assembly on Monday went well.  The senior teacher commented on how the 80 or so children were gripped as I retold the story of the Good Samaritan.  "I could picture every scene" she added.

The Week Ahead
Sunday - Yelvertoft Congregational Church
Monday - ReJesus committee meeting, London (see www.rejesus.org )
Tuesday - School Assembly Planning meeting, Yelvertoft; followed by Gartree Prison
Thursday -  Morning Bible Discussion Group looking at Philippians 2.
Sunday 4th - Yelvertoft Congregational Church

There is a lot of reading and writing to do this week, also updating another website with material from the recent Oxford Diocesan event.  Please pray for my colleague, Monica, as she works in Kenya this week.

Thank you for your fellowship,

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment