Sunday 28 August 2011

It is time to seek the Lord

We have become aware of a very strange phenomenon recently.  The trees in our part of England suddenly seem to think it is autumn two months early!  Many of the trees are rapidly turning from green to yellow and brown in the middle of August.  A closer look also reveals that on some trees it is specific branches that are acting this way, and indeed some branches seem to have died off altogether.  In other trees the evidence of an early autumn pervades the whole.  What a contrast to last year when the autumn changes happened slowly and we were given one of the best displays I have ever seen.

The experts seem to be undecided as to what has caused this phenomenon.  Some point to the dry early summer, while others are talking about the recent lower night time temperatures.  Whatever the cause we could say that the evidence from the trees would suggest that it is later than it is!  Certainly, any hope of a prolonged and colourful autumn seems to have been suddenly snatched from us.  I wonder whether, like me, you have ever been hoping to get something done or finished only to find time has run out.  It was later than I thought.

Many years ago a Baptist Minister was walking with his wife along the seafront when a man looked up from the paper he was reading to ask the time.  The Minister consulted his watch and passed on the information.  A few moments the Minister felt compelled to retrace his steps.  The man was surprised to see him.  "A few moments ago," said the Minister, "You asked me what the time was.  I feel compelled to tell you that it is time to seek the Lord".  To his amazement the man burst into tears and the Minister led him to the Lord there and then.

Some stories like that stick in the mind.  But seeking the Lord is not just about getting saved.  What about praying for revival or the salvation of friends and family?  Are there blessings that should have come into our lives if only we had sought them earlier?

During the past week I called on a family to discuss the baptism of their daughter - now in her late twenties.  Her older brothers had been christened when young but then the family moved and time went by and they just didn't get round to it.  Her brother and his wife have had a baby and want the young woman to be a god parent, but the denomination concerned will not allow an un-baptised person to be a godparent!  Now they are asking why they didn't get round to it much sooner!  Well, you will realise that this is an interesting situation.  My views on baptism have moderated over the years such that the volume of water is now less significant to me.  But genuine faith is vital - whether on the part of parents wanted their child baptised as a sign of their faith, or an older person wanting to be baptised as an expression of that person's faith.

I value your prayers as I talk these things through with them.  I realise how important an issue this is in their family but I would like it to be a really important factor in the life of someone who perhaps will realise it is not just baptism that they did not get round to!  I have had one good pastoral visit and my second visit is scheduled for this Monday 29th in the evening.  Please pray for wisdom that I will do what Jesus would do in such a situation.  I need both the right words and the right attitude.

This week:
Today (Sunday)  I took the service at Yelvertoft on the theme of baptism
Monday - pray for the pastoral visit.
Tuesday - Prison.  Please pray for a young man in the choir who behaved very badly last week and created a bad atmosphere.  Please pray also for a Christian friend, Margaret, who has just discovered a tumour and has a mastectomy this day.
Wednesday - Please pray for Alison, the wife of a friend and colleague, who has an operation for a brain tumour today.  Also for Priscilla, one of our older church members, who goes to hospital.  Some time after a hip replacement her hip has become very painful.
Thursday - Please pray for my study that I will find time to do essential reading and complete two important pieces of writing.
Friday - I have an evening meeting for the Congregational Federation Area.  We have a piece of unfinished work in trying to set up a children and family worker for the Area churches.  This keeps slipping down my list of things to do but finding someone else to carry it through is difficult.  Such an appointment would help several churches - including mine - in their mission.
Sunday - I'm back at Yelvertoft.

This past week I am thankful that I managed to complete a number of important administrative jobs in addition to regular ministry.  If you prayed about that as asked then I am very grateful.  Your prayers are so important to Doreen and me.  Do remember my colleague, Monica, busy in Kenya at this time.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment