Saturday 20 August 2011

The "Church" experience

Last Sunday morning I took the service at Gartree Prison before heading back into Market Harborough to pick up Doreen and make our way across country to Yelvertoft for our regular morning meeting.  There was quite a good attendance at the prison and I had deliberately encouraged contributions from the lads.  I had several good testimonies and hymns provided.  In order to accommodate the various elements I had not followed any discernable order of service.  I drove away feeling it had been a good experience of church.  At Yelvertoft I was delighted to find the chapel fairly full.  Again, I had asked people to choose hymns in advance and be prepared to say something about this.  At both services I had continued the thoughts around how God knows each of us personally, calls us individually, and has a unique role for each of us within his purposes. "You might be a number a computer can trace, but God knows your name, your need and your face!"

Afterwards (and after we had had coffee) we had all been invited to the home of one couple in the fellowship for a bring and share lunch.  The table was loaded with good things, the company was excellent, and we sat relaxed in the garden enjoying both.  It was then that I asked the question, "Is this an "after-church" activity or is it actually still church?"  All those around me agreed it was still church.

lunch time at Holiday at Home
Much of the rest of the week was spent at Holiday at Home in Market Harborough.  This initiative, started by my friend and colleague the Rev Brian Kennard, provides a five day event including an outing on one day.  Other days involved sessions such as short mat bowls, discovering the internet, making shopping bags from recycled curtains, calligraphy, relaxation, drama, a talk from a Christian psychiatrist, chair-based exercises, cooking and much more.  Just under 40 "older" people from the community came each day and we finished each day with a nice lunch.  It is not evangelism as some might define it but it is an excellent opportunity to genuinely show God's love and demonstrate the gospel.  My role included supporting Brian any way I could, running a community singing session, and sharing some of the gospel story within short programmes of jokes, stories and songs on two other occasions.

making shopping bags from old curtains
On each of the four church-based days of H@H something was said about the need and opportunity to enter into a relationship with God.  But the gospel often permeated the fun activities too.  One joy for me was seeing a lady bring her 92 year old husband for the first time.  It was her first time a few years ago and I had shared several conversations with her.  She has since started attending church.  Reflecting on the week I find myself wondering whether what we have been doing is really what church is about.  It might not have had a formalised religious character but can you only have fun once "church" is over?  Fun, fellowship, gospel talks and songs, sharing food and taking time to draw alongside people and listen to them... sounds like church to me.  What do you think?

This week
Study, writing, administration and some pastoral visits.  This week I am also trying to set up a number of rural mission consultations for later this year.  A quiet week as far as activities are concerned but one needing your prayers none the less.  Please pray for my mission colleague, Monica, as she prepares for another four weeks of ministry in Kenya starting on 22nd August.

Thank you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment