Sunday 3 July 2011

Straight Paths

It is Sunday morning 3rd July as I write this weeks post for the diary blog.  At 7.00am this morning several large and very noisy vehicles arrived in our street and started to tear up the road surface.  It was not unexpected and I had parked our car in the next street to avoid any problems.  The road was poor in several places and I am sure that I will appreciate a new and better surface to drive on once they finish this work today.

Last Tuesday evening, after a very busy day full of meetings I set off for London by train to be ready for the day of training I would be leading at the Salvation Army Training College on Wednesday.  As the ticket office was closed I had to use one of their new ticket machines.  It took 15 minutes to print the selected tickets, causing me to miss my train and arrive an hour later than scheduled.  On Friday, a different ticket machine at the same station also failed to work properly and I caught my train by the skin of my teeth.

What does the Bible mean when it talks about "straight paths"?  There are several references to this in Proverbs such as, "in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight" (Prov 3:6).  There are also the references to the ministry of John the Baptist preparing the way for Jesus' ministry.  It seems to me to be about removing obstacles (such as dysfunctional ticket machines).  This took on special relevance as Friday and Saturday were spent as part of the Pastoral Care Board for the Congregational Federation as we carried out a large number of vocational interviews for students on our training courses.  Some are clearly well on their way with little obviously in their way.  Others needed some guidance and help to cope with obstacles in their way.  Our job was to try to help them in a process of discernment of the way ahead.  Not everyone is called to the same ministry and we needed to help them to be sure they were going in the right direction!

Apart from journey frustrations described above the week's activities went well including the training day on Wednesday and the multiple activities on Tuesday.  So here are things for which i value your prayers this week:

Research Programme
There is an ongoing process of reading around the subject of rural evangelism and critiquing various publications.  I am also in the process of writing 3000 words as part of an assessment of the past semester.  At the same time I have to carefully define the aims of my research and how it will be carried out.  This is critical for my progressing to the next stage.  I need a clear head for all this.

Rural Evangelism Network
A mailing goes out to all members this week.  This involves gathering all essential information and producing newsletters etc.  I have a couple of key conversations that need to take place and might need to take a trip to London in this connection.  I am also busy trying to set up local consultations for later this year in SE England, Wales and Scotland.  A request to do something in Cumbria has also come in this week.

Country Way
There is ongoing writing for this important magazine.  This involves some research, interviews and writing up the outcomes.

Yelvertoft
There will be some pastoral visits and next Sunday's meetings to prepare.

and beside all this...
There is always administration to be done (several outstanding jobs), getting copies produced for the  second CD of favourite gospel songs, and taking the choir practice at Gartree Prison on Tuesday.

Compared to the past week, the diary for the coming week is currently fairly free of engagements but there is plenty to fill this space.  Your prayer for all this is very much appreciated.  Also please remember to pray for my colleague, Monica, and her ministry, for the trustees and local committees, and that our financial needs will be met as we look to the Lord to answer prayer in these difficult financial days.

I pray that the Lord will give you a blessed week.  Please keep your eyes on Jesus and remember that seven prayerless days make one weak.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment