Friday 15 July 2011

Renewing friends : losing friends

Well done for getting to this blog.  I hope you find the new address more helpful.

Last Saturday I received some good news and some bad news.  The good news was that I got back in contact with one of our "Turkish daughters".  Many years ago Doreen and I made friends with a family in Antalya and had their daughters to stay in our homes over a couple of summers.  We lost contact but through Google I tracked down a very well qualified young woman in the USA who seemed to be about the right age. To our joy (and hers) we are now back in touch.

The bad news was that a friend of ours had died in tragic circumstances.  I have known Maureen since her teenage life when I used to stay in her parent's home on occasions.  I was best man at her wedding to Peter.  Sadly, the contact between us grew weaker with the passing of years so it was a real joy when Peter and Maureen turned up at our home about a month ago.  Doreen and I soaked up the pleasure of this renewed relationship.  Last week I phoned Maureen for some advice.  It was good to chat and she told me that she and Peter were about to go on holiday with their caravan.  She joked about the problem of putting up the awning.  Then on Saturday Peter phoned to say that while he was putting up the awning she had gone for a walk.  She failed to return and was found some hours later having fallen into a steep and deep ditch where she drowned.  Please pray for Peter, their two sons, Maureen's mother (Marj) and brother (Michael).

As you will know from emails I have sent out the launch of "Responding Well" at the General Synod in York was a happy event.  This policy and guidance document for the Church of England has the endorsement of the House of Bishops.  It is a needed and welcome publication.  Those who pray for me might like to see something of the output you support.  It is available on line and I can send you a pdf copy if that would be helpful.  Every church (of any denomination) probably ought to purchase a copy for their leaders.

After the enjoyable day on Monday it was a disappointing choir practice at the prison on Tuesday.  I had a good service there last Sunday morning before going to Yelvertoft.  The main problem was one of the prisoners messing about.  I will have to talk with him about this and value your prayers about this on the coming Tuesday.

On Wednesday I had a great time with the school assembly where I told the story of Samson with a lot of interaction.  Then on Thursday it was an early start in order to get to Rugby for the church leaders prayer breakfast.  There was an opportunity to discuss how rural churches can link with the Hope Together programme.

On Friday I wrote and posted the new blog on Tailored Rural Missions at tailoredmissions.blogspot.com.

The coming week
This Saturday (16th) I am travelling to East Sussex for a 200th anniversary event at my previous church at Herstmonceux.  It will also give me an opportunity to visit Maureen's mother.

Sunday 17th - Doreen and I will be at Yelvertoft but the service is being taken by our friend John Harris.

Tuesday 19th - Gartree Prison

Thursday 21st - sharing in the funeral service for Maureen.

Sunday 24th - Yelvertoft.

Writing and study are still the main activities.

Thanks for your prayers.
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment