Saturday 5 March 2011

Encouraged but facing a challenge

It is late Saturday night.  I have just completed setting out my main thoughts for tomorrow morning's meeting and I shall soon stagger off to bed.  But, thankful as I am for all who look up this information at the weekend, I thought I should put some information here.

We started the week with an encouraging attendance at the meeting in Yelvertoft.  One lady who had attended once before came again, and another couple from the village came for the first time.  We looked at the issue of peace with God and peace from God.  It seemed to be an engaging topic and I sensed God's presence especially when speaking about what God has done for us that we might know peace with him.

We came into this week with concern for Stan Acland (Chairman of Sunrise Ministries trustees).  He recently learned that he needed a triple bypass operation (heart surgery).  Two invitations to get into hospital at the end of the previous week failed so he was sent back home twice.  He had his operation this week but after recovery he suffered a set back and had to be sedated and his heart supported.  He is now doing better but is still on the critical list.

This past week I have done as much work as I can on the early stages of my research degree course.  I completed and sent off one important document.  How much this might need revision I will find out on Thursday when I have a tutorial at Winchester (I'm rather anxious about this).

On Tuesday we had almost a full attendance at the prison choir and a good practice.  There is still much to do however before our next concert.  One piece of very good news is that two of the choir members also work in a recording studio in the prison and read for a blind organisation.  I introduced the studio to Torch Trust for the Blind and we are now well on the way to getting some Christian books audio recorded for Torch.  Sound tests were carried out on a number of readers and my two choir members did excellently.  It's a new twist on my networking gift!

On Wednesday I met with the architect who will be drafting proposed alterations to Yelvertoft Chapel. This is the start of quite a big step of faith!  I also did pastoral visiting and collected the copies of Country Way from Stoneleigh, Warwickshire for sending out to REN members this coming week.

On Friday I produced 40 copies of Treasured Gospel Songs 1.  I was able to use the disk printer and multi-duplicator at the Torch premises in Market Harborough for which I an very grateful.  With Doreen's help we got our initial orders out on Friday afternoon.  One prayer partner ordered 8 to pass on to friends, and another ordered 6.  A recent ministry to a women's fellowship also resulted in 10 being ordered.  They now come in a proper hard case for a price of £5 plus postage (£1 for one; £1.50 for 2; £2 for up to 8).  All the profit goes into the rural ministry.   Much more encouraging is that God has been using these recorded songs to bless people (young and old).

So we come to today (Saturday) when I was in Nottingham morning and afternoon for the Mission and Society Committee of the Congregational Federation.  Lots of encouragement as the Federation continues to press forward on biblical and Christ centred principles.

Doreen is adjusting to no longer being able to drive and is getting used to her electric mobility scooter.

The coming week
Please pray for Stan, his wife and family.  Pray that Stan will make a full and speedy recovery.

Please pray for me as I prepare for my first tutorial at Winchester University this week.

Sunday 6th - Yelvertoft Congregational Church, Northants.
Monday 7th - School Assembly, Lubenham, Leics.
Tuesday 8th - Churches Group for Evangelisation Meeting in London.
Wednesday 9th - final prep for Thursday!
Thursday 10th - Winchester University
Friday 11th - REN mailout
Saturday 12th - Torch Fellowship Group, Market Harborough
Sunday 13th - Newark Congregational Church, Notts. and Theddingworth Congregational Church, Leics.

No day off this week but I will grab as much free time as I can.

Thank you for standing with us.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment