Saturday 26 March 2011

Best Foot Forward

I have just returned from a visit to the local outdoor-activity shop in Market Harborough where I have acquired some proper walking boots and other items ready for a sponsored walk on 16th April.  Our church is part of the Congregational Federation which made a commitment to raise £30,000 over three years for a Christian Aid partner charity in the Dominican Republic.  We have done well between us and are almost at the target amount, which has to be reached by May 2011.  The charity does excellent work that not only serves poor and needy people in the Dominican Republic (despite luxury tourist hotels there is a lot of poverty in this country) but also helps some folk from Haiti which is next door.  The Federation sent a team to see the situation first hand and they arrived back in the UK very shortly before the earthquake in Haiti.

So on 16th April this old man is going to set out on a 13.5 mile walk across country from Yelvertoft (where my church is situated) to Market Harborough (where I live) in company with other friends.  There are two intermediate points along the route at 4.5 miles and at 7.5 miles.  I hope to make the whole distance but apart from walking around the village and to and from the town centre I have not done any serious walking for around five years!  I am now looking for sponsors so how about it?  You could sponsor me on a mileage basis, or for completing the whole walk, or just for the audacity of thinking I can still walk that far!  All offers appreciated and you can email me at barry@ruralmissions.org.uk.

The Past Week's News
Sunday 20th I was tired from a very busy week (including the Friday and Saturday when I was in Hampshire) but the ministry on Sunday morning at Yelvertoft seemed to be appreciated.
Tuesday 22nd I was in prison with the choir.  The lads were very warm in their appreciation, which was nice.  In the evening we had a meeting at Theddingworth, Leicestershire.
Wednesday 23rd we hosted a lunchtime meeting for rural church leaders in south Leicestershire and north Northamptonshire.  In the evening I led the second of our Lent series in Yelvertoft.
Thursday 24th we went in the morning to Yelvertoft again for the first Lent meeting for a second Lent Group.  Eleven turned up, which was encouraging.
There was plenty to do to fill the gaps in the week!

The week ahead
Sunday 27th Doreen and I will be at Yelvertoft but the service will be taken by John and Joy Langford.
Tuesday 29th I have a school assembly in Yelvertoft in the morning and back to Gartree Prison in the afternoon.  Doreen and I then leave to drive to Hastings.
Wednesday 30th I hope to meet with friends at the Bruderhoff Christian Community in Robertsbridge, East Sussex.  We are then going to the funeral service and thanksgiving for the life of Doreen Porter in Eastbourne followed by a gathering at Herstmonceux.  Doreen and her husband Colin moved to the Herstmonceux area specifically to help us in the work there.  Just a few weeks ago their daughter died after a long battle with cancer.  Please pray for Colin and others in the family.  Then we set off back to Yelvertoft for Lent session 3 for the evening group.
Thursday morning it is session 2 of the morning Lent Group followed by a local Lent Lunch, after which I plan to crash out and do nothing!

On Wednesday work commences re-roofing our home and office at Market Harborough so I can imagine I might need to move to our local library to work!

Please pray that we will be kept healthy and spiritually refreshed as we run around.  Blessing does not come from overworking but from overflowing with the Spirit of God.  God is good and blesses us so much more than we deserve.

Thank you for being there - around the throne of grace - for us.

Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment