Saturday 29 January 2011

Are weeks getting shorter?

As I hit a significant milestone in my life this weekend it is less surprising to me that the past week has flown by so quickly.  Most, if not all, who pass the 40 years mark notice that each year seems shorter than the year before.  So as Sunday marks the end of my 65th year the challenge of fitting into any week what my mind seems to think is manageable continues to disappoint me.  I don't plan to stop work just yet but there will certainly need to be some adjustment.  Doubtless my activity this coming Friday will require that.

Last Wednesday I travelled to London to meet with others concerned for rural church and mission life. It was the meeting of the Churches Rural Group and brings together key people from across the denominations and organisations such as the Rural Theology Association and Farm Crisis Network and, of course, the Rural Evangelism Network that I was representing.  Our guest speaker in the afternoon was Dr Stuart Burgess, Chairman of the Commission for Rural Communities.  The Commission is one of the bodies being wound up by the government and will be greatly missed.

The following day I met again with several of those who had been at London, and some others for the Country Way Editorial Group Meeting.  It was a useful day at the Arthur Rank Centre in Warwickshire. CW is an excellent and helpful publication and so deserving of a greater number of readers.  Proposals for coming issues sound very exciting.  I consider this aspect of my work to be very important but I am grateful that I have an offer to help me get articles written.

This Coming Week
Sunday 30th - 9.00 Gartree Prison Service.  Sadly, two of our team from Theddingworth village will not be able to be with me as they usually are because of delays over security vetting procedures.  Following this meeting we have a time of fellowship with some of the prisoners before I dash off to Yelvertoft for a birthday lunch with the members of the church.

Monday 31st - 1.00pm School Assembly at Lubenham, Leics.

Tuesday 1st - Gartree Prison

Wednesday 2nd - Congregational Federation's Pastoral Care Board Meeting, Nottingham.

Thursday 3rd - Depart for Winchester.  Book into B&B.

Friday 4th - Induction Day for my MPhil Research programme at Winchester University.

Also on Friday I hope to be back in time for the East Midlands Area Executive meeting of the Congregational Federation.  We have a request for a loan from the Area to enable the church at Yelvertoft to start a process to carry out much needed alterations and improvements.

Sunday 6th February our friend, Rev John Harris, is taking our morning meeting so I have some respite over the weekend.

Thanks again for your prayers.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment