Sunday 23 January 2011

And there's more!

The words of Paul in Acts 19:2 to the disciples he found in Ephesus are translated in slightly different ways in various English translations of the Bible.  Whatever translation we might consider it is clear that Paul sensed that there was something missing in the experience of those disciples. Had they received the Holy Spirit was his question.

Paul had paid only a fleeting visit to this major city previously but they had benefited from the preaching of Apollos and may well have been converted under his ministry.  Apollos was a sincere man and powerfully preached that Jesus was the Christ.  They were believers and had received "John's baptism" but had not even heard of the Holy Spirit.  They were then baptised in the name of Jesus and Paul laid his hands on them, whereupon they received the Holy Spirit, spoke in tongues and prophesied.

They were clearly believers in the Lord Jesus before they received the Holy Spirit or Paul would not have baptised them.  It is also clear that Paul's expectation was that those who had embraced the gospel of Christ should consequently receive the Holy Spirit.

I grew up in a church that effectively "knew nothing of the Holy Spirit" and it came as a shock to me to learn that there was "something more".  There then followed several months of frustrating seeking this experience but receiving nothing.  Several of my peers did receive the Holy Spirit and I saw how this enriched their Christian lives and empowered their witness for Christ.  It was six months before the Holy Spirit fell on me while I sat in a little church in north Kent one Sunday evening.  That night I also understood why I had to wait so long for the promise to be fulfilled.

This was back in 1963 and I well remember those days when God's presence in meetings was almost tangible, when people were overwhelmed with a sense of awe in God's presence, when men and women fell under the conviction of sin and sought to be saved, and when it seemed natural that people experienced God's healing power.  At first we were still in an era when mainstream denominations tended to reject those who had pentecostal experience.  But soon what became known as the charismatic movement swept the land and pentecostal experience became normative and respectable.

But somewhere along the way it feels as if the power has been lost.  That immediate sense of God's powerful presence is no longer there.  Perhaps we have substituted for it a fascination with worship and new songs.  Meanwhile Christianity has become marginalised within a secular society, and Christians are generally the butt of comedians' jokes.  God forgive us!

It was tough to be a Christian in Ephesus in Paul's day.  Not all welcomed the Gospel message, but in the power of the Holy Spirit conversions followed the preaching as did outstanding miracles.  Many turned from sorcery and made a bonfire of the occult material.  It was at Ephesus that a riot broke out and despite the opposition Paul was ready to stand in the theatre (still there today) and preach the gospel to them.  A few years ago I sat in that theatre and imagined the scene.

Unlike those twelve men to whom Paul put that question I am not ignorant of the Holy Spirit.  But I lament that experience of God's power does not match my knowledge of it.  Is it that this is not a season of refreshing or could it be that there is a lack of deep passion for the salvation of men and women, and the honour of God's name?  Is there a superficiality in worship in our churches.  Does our subjective enjoyment of worship mean more to us than knowing that we have truly engaged with God and that our hearts echo the rhythm of his?  Is our spiritual life drowning under the volume of media and entertainment?

What I learned back in 1963 was that I had to recognise my own spiritual poverty.  I thought that I was a good Christian, on fire for God, evangelising at every opportunity and seeking to be holy.  But there was too much of what I was doing for God for me to experience what God wanted to do for, in and through me. I though myself to be a loving Christian but that night I learned how poor my love really was and cried to be baptised with his love.  He answered by shedding his love in my heart by the Holy Spirit and I discovered what it was to be like one drunk.

In a few hours time I will take my place at the front of a church.  The people are good and God has been blessing.  But there's so much more.  More for me and more for them.  This time I don't want to wait months.  How about you?

Diary information will be in a post to follow shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment