Wednesday 25 August 2010

Miscellany

On Monday I drove to the Uttoxeter area (90 minutes from home) to take part in interviewing an applicant for accreditation with the Congregational Federation.  Fortunately, the worst of the heavy rain had passed over before I set out.  However my car had developed an intermittent starting problem and I had to bump start it down a short steep drive to get back home.  On the way home I dropped off some p.a. and other items of equipment at the Congregational Church in Leicester.  We are very grateful to one of the members of Herstmonceux Free Church who donated the p.a. speakers; when I was Minister there we used them for our "Fresh Expression" of church established some time before "Fresh Expressions" was in existence.

On Tuesday the car would not start.  It appeared one of the battery cells had failed not long after the one year guarantee expired!  With a new battery in place I set off for Gartree Prison for the afternoon.  We have attracted a few more choir members.  In the evening we used some of the time to plan for the service next Sunday morning at the Prison.  These are precious opportunities and we seek to move in the Spirit of Christ on such occasions.  I shall value your prayers.

Working on admin in the office I had a call from a Lutheran Minister from Germany researching rural evangelism.  He and a colleague will be visiting me (among others) in about three weeks time.

Alfred Lavender -
gospel artist/evangelist
Finally, I had an interesting dream at about 3.30am and woke immediately afterwards.  In the dream I had been sharing in an open air meeting with my old friend and former colleague, Alfred Lavender.  Alfred was singing the hymn "We've a story to tell to the nations".  I couldn't remember the verses but followed Alfred's lead, joining in harmony in the chorus after each verse:  "For the darkness shall turn to dawning, and the dawning to noonday bright.  And Christ's great kingdom shall come on earth: the kingdom of love and light".

I have no idea why I dreamed about Alfred or why this particular hymn.  But it was a great spiritual experience!ender

No comments:

Post a Comment