Monday 19 April 2010

The best laid plans of mice and men ...

Holiday over so it's back to work.  The plan for the day was administration - mostly accounts, but things were to turn out somewhat differently.

Around 8.00am I started trying to find out where Monica and David were in Kenya, and eventually tracked them to a Christian Guest House in Nairobi.  Like many others they are unable to get back into the UK because of the suspension of flights.  Having spoken to Monica that then led to a series of telephone calls on her behalf cancelling various engagements she will not now be able to fulfil.

I also phoned the school at Lubenham as I was booked to take an Assembly at 1.00pm but was unable to find out the theme from the diocesan website.  It is now a subscription only service at £100 per term.  I'm not sure how many CofE schools there are in the diocese but that will be generating a significant income.  It was 12.00 by the time the school got back to me with a list of this term's themes and sessions.  That gave me just one hour to prepare and I was already half way out the door on the way to the bank.  I decided to walk from Market Harborough to Lubenham (about 3 miles) - the first significant exercise since my operation.

The scripture passage set was the story of the risen Christ and the breakfast by the lake.  Sadly, while I was taking the assembly, a lorry ran into my car which I had left parked outside our home and office.  Fortunately the incident was witnessed by a pedestrian passing by who noted the lorry details and knocked our door to let us know.  Doreen rang me on the mobile to tell me the news.  So the afternoon was taken up on negotiating for an insurance claim against the company that owns the lorry.  It had managed to score a line across both offside door windows and damage the trim and seals.  It was amazing it did not break the windows.

I finished work at 6.00 and a little later popped out to a shop only to discover seven rapid response police cars that were responding to an armed robbery (apparently) at our local Aldi store.  In addition to the police there was also a press presence.  The photographer informed me that it seemed the perpetrators of the crime had gone to ground in a block of flats at the bottom of our road and less than 100 yards from our home.  I thought you might like to see a picture.

One other development was  a request to write a 90 minute module on evangelism for a discipleship course.  I am delighted to do so and hope to find time later this week to complete this.

No comments:

Post a Comment