Sunday 13 November 2022

Uncluttered

I have a problem!  Having decided that it is time to downsize my home and move from the house I shared with my late wife, Doreen, I am trying to fit a three bedroomed house into a two-room apartment.

If you have already been on a similar journey, you will know how difficult this is.  Otherwise you have to imagine basically shrinking your home to half size.  And that's the point.  It is the home that is being reduced.  A home that has been lovingly put together over many years and which stores many memories.  But, to move forward, it has to be done.  I have to de-clutter.

The writer of the letter to Hebrews in our Bible probably knew a thing or two about de-cluttering.  Early Christians experienced persecution as the church in Jerusalem grew.  The religious leaders of the Jews saw this emerging community of love as a threat to their faith.  It had to be stamped out.  So, the Christians fled and were scattered.  Some even travelled far away.  But everywhere they went they told the message of God's saving grace.  That, they took with them! (Acts 8:4)

Stuff expands to fill the space available.  Besides the house where I live, I had rented a shipping container where  vast amount of accumulated paper records, training material, children's videos and paper records from the office of my late colleague, Monica Cook, sat on shelves next to my lifetime's accumulations.  The burning question was what was still of real value so many years later.

Parting with some items has been emotionally painful.  It has felt like sweeping away two lifetimes.  I am left with four photo albums that hold the record of Monica's work in Obambo and elsewhere.  If anyone reading this would like them, please contact me quickly.

To the persecuted Jewish Christians, the author wrote, "{you} took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that you have in heaven a better and an enduring substance." (Hebrews 10:34)  It is the fact that they had confidence in that "better and enduring substance" that enabled them to let go of what had previously been treasured.

The apostle, Paul, considered the total loss of what he once treasured, as rubbish compared with the excellency of knowing and having Jesus Christ in his life (Philippians 3:8).  I hope that you value knowing Jesus just as highly as Paul did.  There is nothing that can be compared with its worth.  There is no greater thing.

As I downsize to move into managed retirement accommodation I have the option of taking some things with me.  But do I want to move my old home into the new space?  I have concluded that I would rather not do so.  But when it comes to decluttering our spiritual lives, there is no room for the old self.  As strangers and pilgrims we must travel light.  Old hurts and even those precious moments we have clung to must give way for the new things that God wants to make our lived experience.

But some things I have treasured may be of value to others.  I can pass them on so that others can enjoy them.  So it is with the treasured experiences of my journey so far.  I must pass them on.

Back in that letter to the persecuted and scattered Hebrews, the writer presents us with an athletic scene.  It is a race to be run with possessing Jesus as the prize.  He tells us to keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and fulfiller of our lives.  To remain race-fit we must "get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won't let go." (Hebrews 12:1 CEV).

I have a good and caring Christian friend who gave a week to help me begin the task of de-cluttering.  As I sorted through pile after pile she stood behind me softly saying "Chuck it! chuck it! chuck it!".

Is there some de-cluttering needed in your life?  Chuck it!

Yours, because He divested himself of his majesty,

Barry

Rev Barry Osborne
Founder and CEO of Rural Mission Solutions
12th November 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment