Monday 1 May 2017

EASTER AS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE

A fairly new minister, attending the same meeting as me, spoke about the fact that passing the diving test does not make a person an expert driver.  The learning must go on.  He offered this as a view of what it means to be a Christian minister.  No matter how long you have been in ministry, you should still remain a learner.

Intriguingly, the next day I followed a car being driven along a local road, and observed how carefully it was being driven.  While the driver was happy to go at the national speed limit, he was also careful to drive within the speed limit for the three villages we passed through.  I also observed that he took up the correct road position when approaching bends, and wondered if he had taken advanced driving lessons.  It made me reflect on my own driving style.  I pondered on the thought that to be a good driver you need to keep learning from the experience of your own driving and observing others.

I must have consciously celebrated a Christian Easter for more than 60 years, so finding something new to learn might seem impossible.  But Easter is not only about the story; it is also about the impact that the wonder of the sacrifice and the resurrection have on our emotions and spiritual lives. In my ministry this year, I have focused on the way in which the Easter event produced different kinds of turnaround experiences for four people in scripture.

For Cleopas and his companion life had been very confusing.  The prophet, mighty in deed and word, whom they hoped was the Messiah, had been brutally killed.  Although some women were reporting that he was alive again, in those days the testimony of women was considered unreliable.  They were in the depths of despair.  As they walked the seven miles a stranger helped them see all that the scriptures showed about the Messiah and his resurrection.  With their hearts burning within them, they invited the previously unbidden companion to spend the night with them.  As a result of welcoming him, they discovered the ‘stranger’ was the risen Christ.

Such was the impact of this discovery that they could not wat until morning, but left all and hastened back to Jerusalem to share the news with others. The way was probably difficult, dark and dangerous.  They may have been tired.  But their Easter experience led to a real turnaround.  Easter changed their priorities.

The apostle, Paul, writes about his Easter experience in 1Corinthisnas 15.  He met with the risen Christ as he was about to enter Damascus.  Saul of Tarsus was not a bad man.  He was ultra-sincere, but sincerely wrong.  It was not just his name that was changed; Paul was truly a turned-around man.  The passion he had poured into persecuting those of the Way, was now spent in proclaiming the identity of Jesus as Messiah and Saviour.  At the heart of his ministry was the fact of the resurrection.

For seven days Thomas found himself at odds with the other disciples of Jesus.  They had met the risen Christ and knew the testimony of the women to be true.  He was alive!  But Thomas had not been able to share that same experience and was left with his doubts.  I wonder, why the Jesus who had so soon revealed himself to Mary and the two walking to Emmaus, chose to leave Thomas struggling with doubt while surrounded with confidence.   On the eighth day, finally he too met the risen Saviour.  Now he had no need to tough the wounds in those hands (I love Frank Topping’s description of the nail-prints as ‘chasms of love’)I, or thrust his hand into the wound in his master’s side.  Doubt gave way to that amazing statement of faith: “My Lord and my God”.

In Luke 22, we read about the conversation between Peter and Jesus in the guest chamber on the evening in which Jesus was betrayed.  How vehemently Peter proclaims his loyalty.  But only a few hours later, in the courtyard outside the place where Jesus was on trial for his life, three times he denied ever knowing him.  As the cock crowed, and the door opened, Jesus turned and looked at Peter, and Peter remembered.  Rising from his place by the fire, Peter went outside and wept bitterly.  He was not the man he thought he was and hoped others would see him too.

Meeting once more, the one he had failed and denied would not have been easy.  I sense some uneasiness in Peter’s decision to go back to fishing.  I suspect that breakfast may have been eaten in silence.  But when the silence was broken as Peter walked with Jesus, how painful were those questions that drilled into Peter’s heart.  They emphasised his failure, but were accompanied with words of reassurance.  There was still a place for him.  As Jesus had urged him in that mealtime they had share before Jesus was arrested, “When you are converted, strengthen your brethren”.

Endeavouring to understand and empathise with all that Peter went through emotionally over those few short days, has led me to believe that the Peter we see on the Day of Pentecost had been changed, not only by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, but by his Easter turnaround experience.

So, four turnaround experiences, from moping to mission, from persecutor to apostle, from doubt to extraordinary faith, and from cowardice to courage.  Easter impacts our lives in different ways, all of which should lead to a real turnaround.  For me, Easter 1963 turned me from a nominal believer into a young man with a passion for sharing the good news and encouraging others to trust the Saviour.

But the learning should go on. So, this year I am asking, what is there in who I am, in what I do, in how I speak and in my thoughts, and in my relationship with God and others that needs an Easter turnaround.

I have one further thought.  In each of the examples above, people were found, or found themselves in a non-ideal situation.  Cleopas was confused and unhappy.  Thomas found himself at odds with his friends.  Paul was obsessed with destroying heresy. Peter was probably struggling with shame.  I had a faith that was ineffective.  Each remained in that state until Jesus breaks through in his own time.  It was the presence of the risen Lord – and that alone – that made the change.  Easter is about triumph, but at the personal level that cannot be manipulated or brought about by our own efforts.  We may not be where we would prefer to be in experience.  Maybe, all we can do is pray, “Come, risen Lord, I open my heart, mind and life to the power that raised you from the dead. Do your turnaround work in me.”

From the Diary
 April has been a busy month.  There has been Sunday ministry at Newton URC (near Rugby), Weby Lane Mission (Melton Mowbray), Northampton Congregational Church, Welford Congregational Church (Northants), and HMP Gartree. Various other meetings including school assemblies have been conducted.  I was a guest at the Village Hope Conference in Malvern and spent numerous hours in writing and in mission administration.

On Tuesday 2nd June, I shall take a service interring ashes following a thanksgiving service conducted recently.  I will also be working at HMP Gartree.  On Friday 5th I share in a meeting exploring how to make church premises more inviting.  On Sunday 7th, I am booked to lead the evening service at Welby Lane Mission, Melton Mowbray.  In between these engagements I will be busy preparing for an outreach planning meeting (8th May), a Sunrise Ministries Trustees Meeting (15th May),  a Safeguarding Training Day (17th May), and our next webinar on Summer Mission Ideas (20th May), and much more.

At present my work at prison is frustrated by delay in getting my security clearance renewed.  This impacts not only my ministry in the prison, but also affects all my colleagues, as it limits my activities.  Please pray for a speeding up of the process.

Thank you for your prayers.  Please pray that the Lord will keep us close to himself, keep us learning, and make us a blessing to others.

Barry






No comments:

Post a Comment