Saturday 11 February 2017

Moving a Mover

In a previous Praise & Prayer News I wrote about a hymn that meant much to me. It sparked off a lot of communications, as people identified with what I had written.  As I wrote at the time, I draw much blessing from older hymns, but also enjoy many contemporary hymns and songs.

The fact is, that if our hearts are open to God, he will use all kinds of things to bring his blessing into our lives.  In the first church where I was a minister, a lady brought her granddaughter one Sunday evening when we were singing a lively Sankey-type hymn.  It had a clap-along chorus.  Granny had given little girl a tambourine, which she bashed out of time through all the verses as well as the choruses.  After two verses, I felt I could take no more, so I was about to publicly suggest that she was stopped from banging it at least through the verses, when I felt God say that he was happy to accept the little girl’s worship and I should be too!  From that moment, I found what had been annoying became pure joy!  Is there a lesson here for those of us who are picky about worship material?

In that church, we used the old Redemption Hymnal.  It has remained my favourite for many reasons.  It has plenty of older hymns (Watts and Wesleys abound), hymns from the Sankey era, and hymns from the Pentecostal Revival.  This last group demonstrates a deep spirituality, and it is one of these that I want to share with you here.  It was written by ECW Boulton, an early Elim Minister, who once stayed in the home of a dear friend (now in Glory), Alan Blythe.  Alan was very musical and innocently asked Pastor Boulton whether he was too!  He later said it was one of his most embarrassing moments.

The hymn I have chosen to share with you speaks to me as someone engaged in public ministry.   The inherent danger when one is standing "up-front" is the temptation to perform; to present our ministry in a way that we hope will impress the congregation.  Of course we want what we say and do to have an impact on the hearers and that will mean using an appropriate style, but we should always want people to see Jesus and not us.

Perhaps one way of avoiding falling into the trap of allowing too much of ourselves into our ministry is to remind ourselves of the words of Jesus in the allegory of the vine and branches.  Jesus said, “Apart from me you can do nothing” 
(John 15:5).  Some versions state “without me you can do nothing”.  Of course, relying wholly on ourselves, we can achieve results, but this will not be the fruit God looks for.  Some people like to relate the fruit bearing to the passage in Galatians about the fruit (singular) of the Spirit (See Galatians 5L22,23)  But I think it refers to every aspect of our lives and ministries for him.  Nothing that is of God and of eternal value can be achieved without his life in us.

So, here’s the hymn.  Please take time to read it and ponder on each verse.  It is the ideal hymn for those in public ministry, but we would all benefit from making this our daily prayer.

Move me, dear Lord, and others I shall move to do Thy will;
mould Thou this life into a vessel fair Thyself to fill;
no charm with which to draw do I possess,
in Thee I find the secret of success.

O touch these yielded lips and through them pour Thy living thought;
I would not give to hungry souls the words that man hath taught;
shall they who seek the bread a stone receive?
It is God's Word alone that can relieve.

How wonderful a channel thus to be, to those forlorn,
a messenger of peace and joy and hope, to them that mourn;
O grant that I Thy risen life may share,
the virtue of Thy name to others bear.

Under the anointing daily let me live, a priest and king;
relying not on fleshly energy Thy smile to win;
a simple soul in contact with my Lord,
in whom all fullness is forever stored.

O teach me, Lord, henceforth with Thee to walk in union deep;
whilst tending other souls not to neglect my own to keep;
a separated soul unto the One
whose grace and love for me so much have done

As far as I know, this is now ‘Public Domain’.  The fact that this hymn is not more well-known might be because Marjorie Helyer’s fantastic tune for this hymn is set in five flats!  Please let me know if anyone want’s the music.  It is not difficult to adjust the words into more contemporary English.  I hope it blesses you.
 

From the Diary
Thanks to all who prayed through the Court hearing on Wednesday.  It felt as if progress was made, though we still have some way to go as we seek to secure a good future for an elderly lady beneficiary under the Will of a former friend and colleague.  This has proved a difficult journey, calling for wisdom and grace.

Through this week, Capt Gordon Banks and I will be putting the finishing touches to thenext Webinar on Saturday 25th February, with Suggestions for mission activity for Spring into Summer.  Like all our online seminars it is free. All you need is an internet connection with sound.  While this is ideal for church leaders (ordained or lay), it is of value for all Christians in rural or small churches.  The webinar starts at 9.00 and lasts no more than 45 minutes.  You can watch and listen in you PJs, while eating your breakfast or drinking a coffee!  Advance booking is essential.  
Click here to reserve your place.
 

Other Activities: 
Sunday 12th – Morning Worship, HMP Gartree, Leics.
Tuesday 14th – HMP Gartree
Wednesday 15th – meeting with CEO Village Hope
Thursday 16th - Thanksgiving Service for Peter Couling, Northampton.  Peter was a member at Yelvertoft, a super inspiring Christian, who lived out the principles of the hymn quoted above.
Friday 17th - Interment Service for Peter Couling, Yelvertoft, Northants.
Saturday 18th – Area Executive East Midlands Congregational Federation
Sunday 19th – Elstow Bunyan Christian Fellowship.Beds.
 
Yours prayers for these activities and our ministry day by day will be very much appreciated.

Barry



1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr Osborne, thanks for the post - I was searching for this hymn with the one line I could remember "I would not give to hungry souls the words that man hath taught" - and found it!. I would love a copy of the music if you have it or can direct me to it? How best to contact you? Many thanks. Daniel

    ReplyDelete